No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Enameled Opaline Snake Jar  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Unusual Enameled Opaline Snake Jar
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »
Hi, flicking through The Decanter by Andy McConnell (again) I noticed an illustration that reminded me of your item. It is a page from The Hokusai Manga, 15 volumes of illustrations from Japanese everyday life, 1841 to 1878 (McConnell also mentions a start date of 1814 which I think might be a typo). The illustration in the book is the same as the one shown at the top of this website: https://www.grandpalais.fr/fr/article/hokusai-manga

McConnell says the style Japonaise starts around 1856 in France when the Japanese book was saved from being used for packaging by artist Félix Bracquemond and the new aesthetic took hold.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 07:39:05 PM »
In my earlier reply I said it might be worth looking at Japanese ceramics from the period (Meiji) which had a great influence on European art etc. The Japanese used to put insects etc on their ceramics to cover up faults in the glaze, although the images on this glass piece are very unusual. I agree with Sue that it doesn't look like anything Harrach produced.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 10:37:44 PM »
It's a difficult one but I feel sure I've seen that snake face somewhere before.  It has quite 'human' features  :o - I might have seen it on another animal.
The shape is odd for a Bohemian piece however I don't think the way it's made (cut rim no pontil mark) would make me think French as a first thought.  If it was French I'd be looking at Saint Louis. The pink is a pink I've seen on Russian glass or glass classified as Russian glass in the Hermitage.  I suppose the two items I'm thinking of might have been Bohemian in origin and maybe mis catalogued. I wouldn't think it was Russian either though really because of the shape.  I would first go to Josephinenhutte for the shape and enamelling and maybe the pink colour opaline, but then the snake makes me think Harrach. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 11:22:36 PM »
I wonder if another option might be made by Schachtenbach.  It's not like anything I've seen from them but I think it's definitely possibility to explore.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 04:01:08 PM »
The candelabra on it also looks very like French, Rococo style ormolu.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand