No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cased Glass Acid Etched Vase  (Read 1952 times)

Offline tonyatl

• Members
Re: Cased Glass Acid Etched Vase
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 12:10:09 AM »
i am starting to lean heavily in the direction of michael weems. i found this example on rubylane.com. i am sure that it will disappear soon, but for now, it can be viewed here: https://www.rubylane.com/item/1667971-PP217/Pink-Elise-Vase-Michael-Weems-Glass?search=1&t=aee64ed2

this weems vase has a decorative pattern evocative of my vase - though clearly different. its base is comparable to mine. even the shape is somewhat suggestive.

on the other hand, here is another vase, but done by consolidated which is in the ball park sort of, though not cased. https://www.rubylane.com/item/361097-021217x2e017/Consolidated-Green-Florentine-Etched-7x22-Vase?search=1&t=4f391cdd

the one thing in favor of this maker is that it aligns with the mid century attribution given by my appraiser. nothing is settled, but gives food for thought.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2020, 01:16:34 PM »
 :)
I can see now that on your pink vase, the surface which stands proud is the satinated part, and the shiney smooth pattern is the one which lies deep.
It is completely the other way around in my Portmeirion piece, I think we can rule that out.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 02:09:24 PM »
the surface which stands proud is the satinated part, and the shiney smooth pattern is the one which lies deep.
Maybe some sort of optical illusion, but my eyes/brain see it the other way round  ;D
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 05:11:15 PM »
I'm quite willing to concede that my eyes and brain are not the most reliable of co-ordinators - or percievers.  ;D
Maybe it's like the necker cube - it just depends which way around you first make the perception.
I think we need to ask Tonyatl!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline tonyatl

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 01:33:19 AM »
I'm quite willing to concede that my eyes and brain are not the most reliable of co-ordinators - or percievers.  ;D
Maybe it's like the necker cube - it just depends which way around you first make the perception.
I think we need to ask Tonyatl!

The elements in relief are clear/ translucent. The ground - ie the base or the recessed surface has the frosted pink finish. i need to take a better photo  :o in fact the pink shown in the first photo is a little more intense than is seen in ordinary light.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 04:03:44 PM »
Thanks.  ;D
It is the same as my bucket, after all. The acid etched, rough parts are the deep bits. The smooth shiney parts, stand proud.
Which makes most sense. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand