No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Interesting early George Elliott 1970 bottle , Bacons Barn, Suffolk.  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
This bottle is signed George Elliott 1970 Bacons Barn Suffolk . Was Bacons Barn where he would have taken his furnace on a travelling demonstration show ? I read that he did travel the country giving demonstrations . It's very similar  to early Mdina fish vases  ! The white on the base  is just flour to try to show the signature .
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Interesting early George Elliott 1970 bottle , Bacons Barn, Sussex .
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 07:22:55 PM »
More pics ...
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Interesting early George Elliott 1970 bottle , Bacons Barn, Suffolk.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »
 ;D It's very nearly a bit "Fish"ish.
Very interesting indeed Mike. Early European Studio Glass.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 09:21:43 PM »
Hello Sue ! Long time no speak ! I thought you might find it of interest.  It has a strap on both sides running towards the base as can be seen in the photos . Do you happen to know anything about Bacons Barn in Suffolk by any chance  ?

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/signed-studio-glass-bottle-vase-1778184566
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 01:26:04 PM »
No, I don't Mike, sorry. I have just finished reading my Sam Herman book, and much of that was about how he took the Studio Glass Movement around the world and about the people he met and influenced and was influenced by at the time, so it was really easy to see this piece in that global historical perspective, knowing what much of the output of the RCA was at the time too, but I did not find any mention of George Elliot in the book. I would have noticed his name as I do have a goblet he made, marked Bewdley with an anchor. All hand done marks.

Maybe I should read the book again, to double check I didn't miss something!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 08:32:59 PM »
Thanks for looking in your book  :)
I wonder if  Michael Harris and George Elliott might have known each other or perhaps friends maybe  as they were both students at Stourbridge in the 1950s . Plus they were both the same age born in 1933 .
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 08:48:21 PM »
There was a lot of excitement about the new art movement - and loads of them did find each other and get together to discuss and experiment.

It's one of the reasons there isn't as much of Sam's work out there as we'd like - he was so busy teaching and expanding and promoting it all as far and wide as he could that it left him little time for actual glassmaking himself.
There just are not enough Sam Hermans to go around. He needs at least a dozen lifetimes just to devote to creating glass, sculpture and painting, his three great innate talents.
Then a few more for promotion and teaching - and at least one, all for himself.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 02:24:40 AM »
Sue,this reminds me of my vase signed Hooke or Kooke or whatever it was,  I forget.

And also the scratchy way it's signed.  Will get a moment and dig out the thread on that and see if there is a comparison.
Wondering if it may have been from a student at Stourbridge?

There is more info on George Elliot here on this thread:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,22397.msg126436.html#msg126436

It says he died in 2000 however I've seen a piece on Wiki from the Hereford Museum and Art Gallery with a 'museum' type label that says he died in 1998.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bottle,_Hereford_Museum_and_Art_Gallery_-_DSCF1923.JPG

m

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 10:05:25 AM »
Thanks for the links m . I think the museum has spelt his surname incorrectly as he signed it with two T s . See better pic of signature . More examples here....

https://picclick.co.uk/George-Elliott-studio-glass-vase-Bacons-Barn-Suffolk-313281994579.html

https://www.lskauctioncentre.co.uk/auction/lot/199-george-elliott-1933-1998---bacons-barn/?lot=435205&sd=1
Mike

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 05:17:26 PM »
If you search the board you will find several earlier posts about George Elliott too.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand