No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Vase? No, Bohemian.  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Manthorp

• Members
  • Passions for Georgian and mid-Century glass
    • Georgian
    • Keighley, Yorkshire. UK
Orrefors Vase? No, Bohemian.
« on: January 12, 2021, 11:11:07 AM »
Hi all. I bought this vase recently. It's about 19.5cm high and 7cm in diameter at its widest. It has an exceptionally well engraved Satyr or - more probably, given the pipes - figure of Pan.

It may have a signature on the base, but it's so small and so faint that if someone told me it was just scratch marks, I'd not be in a position to challenge them. Also on the base is the remainder of a sticker with scraps of - I think - metallic foil remaining. Of course, that need not be original.

It looks like Orrefors to me, but I don't have the knowledge or the reference books to be sure. I have a Sven Palmqvist bowl in a very similar red & clear glass, but the style of engraving looks to me like Nils Landberg.

Is anyone able to confirm? Or suggest who else it might be by?
- Steve

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Orrefors Vase?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 07:39:11 PM »
 :) Great pics of the scratches /age-related wear/ "could it be a signature?" bit - I have peered and pondered marks like this dozens of times but never managed to find a real mark. :'(  ;D

However, it is difficult to see how good the engraving is, or what shade of red the glass could be because of the complicated background. A sheet of A4, a white bedsheet, a pillowcase could be used.

I can see why you think Orrefors. It would be my first stop too. Something is telling me that the engraving being small like this is, is typical. But I can't make out terribly much detail - not enough to be able to comment on the quality of the work.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 08:26:40 PM »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 08:39:49 PM »
 ;D Well done! I was a bit mystified by the presence of colour in Orrefors but don't know enough to preclude it. Now I know ZBS did engravings, I did not know that before.   ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 08:54:34 PM »
 ;D I didn’t check zbs other than what it said on that website. Can’t beat a nice bit of cold work ;D
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Manthorp

• Members
    • Georgian
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »
That's a great call, thanks Ekimp. That faun/satyr/Pan engraving is stylistically so similar that it has to be a match. Two mysteries solved in one day!
- Steve

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 09:25:26 AM »
I don't know if the vase in the link above is ZBS and Klinger, but the one in this thread is by Erika Hellerova for Kamenicky Senov (Lobmeyr).
See link to Czech glass revue on Jindrich's site >> CGR 1958/11

I have a few of these, too :) >> http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,42212.0.html

Michael

Offline Manthorp

• Members
    • Georgian
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 10:24:01 AM »
Thanks for the identification, Michael. That's an exact match. I wish I could read Czech!

I love your skater vase.
- Steve

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 10:40:56 AM »
You're welcome.

The Glass revue is actually in German :)
The title states something like: New products of engraved glass from the renowned brands "Zelezny Brod" and "Lobmeyr" Czechoslovakia.

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand