No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lloyd and Summerfield  (Read 2028 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Lloyd and Summerfield
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 12:43:59 PM »
I've just reread something in the other thread that might link to what you said about Sarah's brother dying and Sarah possibly adopting one of Isaiah's children. 
I mentioned in that thread that Sarah appeared to have another son with her - a John Richardson (not John Thomas Haden Richardson as the date of birth and age don't correspond)
 See my comment at the top of this post:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,64256.msg360348.html#msg360348

Perhaps the John Richardson I referred to in that post is the son of Isaiah?

Offline Georgina Drummond

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • England
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 10:42:57 PM »
Thank you for this, it's extremely useful.  I've put something about Jonathan's 3rd son on the other thread.  The possible adopted child I was thinking about is the Eleanor Lloyd who was a witness at William Haden Richardson's second marriage in 1848.  Sarah Lloyd didn't so far as I know have a sister of that name so a possible explanation would be that she was a child of Sarah's brother Isaiah born around the time of his death in 1832 and adopted by Sarah and Jonathan.  This seems to be the only mention of her in the record.

Further to George Lloyd of Lloyd and Summerfield I discovered that he was the son of the Rev. Thomas Lloyd vicar of Albrighton.  His wife Rachel Biddle was the granddaughter of Sampson Lloyd the banker and they all seem to come from a background of wealthy Welsh gentry.  A bit too upper crust for my family I'm afraid so it seems likely there is no connection after all, but it's been a very interesting trawl!

Thanks again

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 11:08:51 PM »
Georgina, I've found another Lloyd name - just in case it makes a link to your family somewhere along the way:

It seems from this directory (see page 26) that in 1874 there was a 'Henry John Lloyd of Parish Glassworks, trading in partnership with George Lloyd as Lloyd and Summerfield, glass manufacturer, 13th March 1874'

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Birmingham_commercial_list_afterw_Th/Ju8NAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=george+lloyd+and+thomas+summerfield+glass&pg=PA26&printsec=frontcover

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 08:57:17 AM »
According to Ancestry, Henry John Lloyd 1832-1914 is George Lloyd's son. It looks like he left the UK before the 1881 census and emigrated to New Zealand where he died, so I guess he was a partner for a few years and moved on after the works closed in the 1870s

• Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 03:45:22 PM »
Thank you

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 02:30:42 PM »
Hi, have you looked at the Dudley Archives? They have information including “...an extraordinary card index containing the names of thousands of individuals connected with glassmaking in the UK, from the 17th to the 19th century”. (Compiled and donated by Brian Hardyman)

Info here: https://www.dudley.gov.uk/things-to-do/museums/collections/glass/the-glass-collections/the-glass-archives/
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

• Members
    • England
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 09:05:52 PM »
Thanks for this.  I've made a note and will definitely pay the Glass Archive a visit when it's possible to go to Dudley again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand