No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bubbly Glass bowl —Arculus & Co ? Id help please. ID = Stevens & Williams  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
   Hi,
   I’ve always thought of this bowl as one of Nazeing’s —however I’m having second thoughts, now that I’ve seen
  some examples of Bubbly Glass in Charles Hajdamach’s 20th c British Glass book—page 100, plate 196.

These were made by Arculus & Co—there’s a vase there in a colour similar to mine.
   I know that you can’t make an attribution based purely on colour............ ;D

It has a shallow concave polished out pontil mark.

There’s a lot of base wear.

I would describe its colour as blue with a bit of lilac

It’s cased.

Width—11.5cm ( 4.5” )
     Wt—350gm

There are one or two impurities in the glass.

Any thoughts ?  Thanks for looking  :)

Scott

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
Re: Bubbly Glass bowl —Arculus & Co ? Id help please
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 07:48:32 PM »

Hi,
Thanks - I suppose it could be S&W ?
I’ll spend some time ( which unfortunately I haven’t got this evening) tomorrow, looking at what members thought re
its identity— via your link.
Thanks for your help

Scott

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 08:22:46 AM »
Hi,
 “ Stevens & Williams ?”
  Been through all the threads.
Hmmm—I’m not entirely convinced, I’d love to think it was a S&W/RB one, but I’d have to see one of theirs—vases,
bowls, anything ,with this bubbly effect first.
I hope I’m wrong, I usually am  ;D

I perhaps should have pointed out that it’s a bit lopsided  ::)
I’ll send another couple of photos.

Scott

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 09:19:46 AM »
Um, the bubble effect of yours looks a bit different to the one in the link, I assume the id of that bowl is correct but there was no evidence as such. I had a blue and green rainbow bowl in this shape but otherwise don’t have a clue. Apparently I gave my bowl away (I thought I had loaned it ;D ), I have a feeling that was slightly lopsided too.

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 02:08:45 PM »

Hi,

Yes I agree, of course we have to assume the identity of the one in the link is correct.

To me this one appears a bit lumpy, lopsided and hasn’t got a particularly neat pontil mark. I wouldn’t have
     thought these are features you’d expect to find in S&W/RB pieces.

Anyway here goes with a couple of more photos.... :)

Scott

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 04:01:11 AM »
My first thought was S&W  because of the shape and I'm sure we've had a royal blue on here before - will go and see if I can find it.
https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6124

Ooh, no, I know what it reminds me of - I have an S&W blue alabaster bowl from their alabaster range in this colour.
Like this colour blue:
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15435/lot/34/

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 07:56:17 AM »

Hi flying free,
   I’m about to make a u-turn ( very much in fashion these days  ;D )re the identity of my little blue bubbly bowl.
   I’ve had another look at BRADBURY 7308’s version—please see link provided by Ekimp ) and I can now see how
   similar they look .
   I think I must have had a Covid 19 moment not to have seen this the first time round ???.

Anyway I wasn’t sure whether Nigel Benson was referring to BRADBURY’s blue bubbly bowl or the little
    May Green bowl when he said “ S&W/RB it jolly well is IMHO “ - see Ekimp’s link.
    I take it he was referring to the blue bubbly bowl as BRADBURY seemed very happy ( understandably)  with
    the result.
    I know all this happened 10 years ago, but I’m sure you’ve got a good memory   ;D

Anyway it looks as if I’ve got a SW/RB bubbly bowl   :o

Many thanks

Scott

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 08:17:04 AM »
hahaha, I didn't check Ekimp's link before posting :)

I should have done - I knew we'd had a blue version before. 

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
To me this one appears a bit lumpy, lopsided and hasn’t got a particularly neat pontil mark. I wouldn’t have thought these are features you’d expect to find in S&W/RB pieces.
I just wanted to check this for my own interest. I had thought quality was a strong indicator for S&W but as Scott says, this dish is really quite lumpy and lopsided. So is this sort of production normal for S&W or the exception?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand