No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bubbly Glass bowl —Arculus & Co ? Id help please. ID = Stevens & Williams  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Bubbly Glass bowl —Arculus & Co ? Id help please. ID = Stevens & Williams
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 09:22:02 PM »
Ok, it’s probably easier to compare when you’ve got it to hand. I had cropped your latest photo of the rim so that it looked similar to this one http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=43047.0;attach=83043 from the other bowel and compared the two. When doing that, yours looks to have lots of small round bubbles, whereas the other bowl looks to have mainly a few larger stretched bubbles surrounded by tiny frothy bubbles. I suppose you would expect them to be exactly the same anyway :D
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 11:08:39 PM »
It is difficult to judge colour on screen and yours is a jug v a bowl which has walls nearer together looking at it from the front - ie. double thickness I guess and not a huge amount of light show through it by comparison to your jug.
However your jug looks sapphire blue to me.  The bowl is lavender blue coloured with a hint of cobalt.

That said ... I have a very curious S&W stirrup cup that is in a very similar blue to your jug!  Maybe it appears sapphire because it's so transparent.  I will get my bowl and also the stirrup cup down later and see whether they look similar blues together :)

I've looked at my bowl and the stirrup cup together and they are two different blues.  The cup is sapphire blue, the bowl is lavender blue.  They are both startlingly beautiful colours though.  However S&W made them, their blues are something special.
Badly lit picture here, badly lit if you are trying to compare colours I mean, and I don't think it's the same clear sharp blue of your jug.  It is satin glass so that doesn't help I guess but nonetheless:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=56463.0;attach=153268;image

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2021, 03:02:22 PM »

Hi Ekimp
   Another two photos, one showing the elusive stretched bubbles and the other showing minute bubbles, which might be the ones Bradbury described as frothy— a very apt description.
By the way thanks for directing me in the right direction with your link  :)

Offline Scott13

• Members
    • Uk
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2021, 08:28:17 PM »

Hi flying free,
I love your fox stirrup cup  ;D
I found your input really interesting, one reason I bought this bowl was because of its colour, to me it somehow had a quality which I hadn’t come across before.
Its intensity perhaps—I don’t know,
I’ve never been very good at recognising colours—hence my initial description—blue with a bit of lilac.
Well I now know that’s actually called lavender— or lavande bleu. :D
I also knew very little about S&W , I feel I know a bit more now.
Many thanks  :)

Scott

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2021, 11:06:47 PM »
I love S&W glass.  Not all of it obviously, but a good many ranges and designs which were just exquisitely beautiful. Ekimp this was just a few short years of their output.  To my eye, most of their glass is unbelievably refined.  Some of it too refined for me (clear glass, beautifully made/engraved, really pretty).
In terms of the more 'contemporary' stuff, there are two earlier ranges to these Bubbly/cloudy pieces called Moss Agate and Silveria.  Worth exploring - I live in hope of stumbling upon one or other of them at a price I could afford.  Both ranges are stunningly beautiful. 

And then there are the years of cameo and multicoloured layered engraved glass and the vast quantity of the oh so beautiful pieces they made over the lifetime of the company.   They are definitely worth exploring more :)

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
This blue bowl is S&W - as intimated in  a linked post. It is not Nazeing, Arculus, or Biot, but it is the worst made one of these that I can recall seeing I'm afraid.

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand