No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink carafe with glasses, probably Bohemian, perhaps more information?  (Read 767 times)

Offline Aurelia49

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • European glass
    • The Netherlands
I have bought a pink carafe with glasses.
Such carafes are mostly made in Bohemian, Czech Republic.
Is there anyone who knows the origin of the glassworks?

Measures: Height with stopper 23,5 cm without 16,5 cm
L x B = 12 x 7 cm
Glasses: L x B x H = 4,5 x 3,5 x 5,5 cm
Weight carafe 0,918 kg
Weight 6 glasses 0,560 kg

Thank you very much.
Egbert

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Pink carafe with glasses, probably Bohemian, perhaps more information?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 01:52:35 PM »
Hi. This looks very similar in faceted design to some examples shown in Andy McConnell’s The Decanter book on page 401. There are 17 decanters shown, none exactly the same but some of them have the same sort of neck that almost looks separate to the body, with the shoulder at the top of the body. One looks to have the same stopper. Unfortunately he is only able to identify them as Czechoslovakian, 1930s - some Moser &/or Riedel. Seems it might be hard tying down the exact maker as he says the records have mainly been lost and signed examples are rare.

Having said that, on the next page is an image from a Karl Palda 1935 catalogue. The image isn’t very clear, but your decanter looks very like the yellow one shown in the top right of the Cocktail sets catalogue page. Hopefully you can see the same picture on this Pinterest page, the image on the left hand side. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/katherinecostan/karl-palda-art-deco-glass-and-other-cool-things/  Maybe you can find a better copy for comparison.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Pink carafe with glasses, probably Bohemian, perhaps more information?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 02:50:58 PM »
 If you search for Novy Bor (Czech glass centre) decanters there are references to various names including Haida and Karl Palda whom Ekimp mentioned.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand