No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness bowl - Colin Terris  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Erjscot

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Caithness bowl - Colin Terris
« on: February 14, 2021, 04:31:47 PM »
Hi
I have this bowl marked Caithness 1991 DD284.
The only other piece I can find in this pattern is a studio lamp by Colin Terris in 1992, so I’m assuming this is one of his. Does anyone know what this design is and if it ever was a retail piece? Does anyone onow what the DD refers to?
Many thanks

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Caithness bowl - Colin Terris
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 05:08:05 PM »
 :) Your footed bowl is illustrated in Mark Hill's Caithness book on p118.
In the 1991 catalogue, it is a limited edition range, called Summer Meadow. The bowl illustrated is blue rather than your teal colour, and had a Ltd.Edn number of 100.
Catalogue no. 4523. All pieces presentation boxed.
Unfortunately, it does not say who the designer is.
Or what the DD might mean.

Welcome to the board.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2021, 05:14:26 PM »
I've found an old auction sale of a blue baluster vase in this design, it says the designer is Helen MacDonald.
I would be inclined to agree. Helen's work is more recent than Colin Terris', but every single bit as important. She's quite wonderful.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Erjscot

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 05:36:09 PM »
Hi Sue,
Thanks so much for the info - it’s something that’s intrigued me for years. I won it in a raffle in 1991, when it was new, but I was only 11, so wasn’t  bothered about the box or any information that might have come with it!
I always assumed the 284 referred to how many had previously been made, but if only 100 of the blue version was produced, maybe not. It is interesting that it’s a different colour, the pic doesn’t actually do it justice - it’s very bright turquoise in reality. One thought I have is that it could be a second  - the rim looks a bit lopsided to me.
I shall have a look in to Helen Macdonald’s work - thanks again, it’s wonderful to see another piece like mine and get a name for it

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 06:42:06 PM »
Caithness seconds are marked as seconds. It wouldn't have a date or other numbers and letters on it if it was one of those.
Sometimes, with very thick glass, things can appear lopsided when they are not, just because of the way the glass works with the light.
We do not yet have confirmation it is Helen's work.  ;)
We need a proper source, not just an auctioneer's word.  :)
eta. Having said that, I ought to link to the sold auction. He just says Helen.
I assumed it would mean Helen MacDonald. She is a major designer and maker who made a fair few of the important limited editions of things. :)

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/franklinbrown/catalogue-id-frankl10021/lot-0c313b2c-d659-4b98-96db-a64900d5c4ed#lotDetails
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 09:33:55 PM »
In the 1991 catalogue, it is a limited edition range, called Summer Meadow. The bowl illustrated is blue rather than your teal colour, and had a Ltd.Edn number of 100.
Catalogue no. 4523. All pieces presentation boxed.
Unfortunately, it does not say who the designer is.
Here's the picture - as Sue said: no designer mentioned. I have a (copy of the) certificate for the "Urn Vase" - and this states Colin Terris as designer.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 01:22:29 PM »
That's great, Wuff, thanks.
The proper evidence for Colin Terris, on your certificate.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Erjscot

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 11:35:54 AM »
That’s so interesting, thank you. I’m so intrigued as to why mine is a different colour. This is the 1992 lamp (by Terris) I found - the design is exactly the same.
http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=21&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=911&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 02:24:03 PM »
 ;D There will be minor differences. The lamp has a creamy white background, and the design is over that, while your urn is thick glass with the design inside it.
It is very common indeed for different designs to be variations of each other, not just at Caithness.
The lamp will be quite thinly blown, compared to the urns too.
Your urn coming in two colours is not unusual. Many Caithness ranges came in a selection of colours.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand