No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso glass Made in Taiwan?  (Read 2734 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Seguso glass Made in Taiwan?
« on: March 01, 2021, 10:23:02 PM »
Hi All just having a nose around ebay.com and saw this. Anyone seen anything like this? Is there a maker in Taiwan?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGUSO-Art-Glass-Perfume-Bottle-with-Stopper-Cobalt-Blue-Gold-Flakes-Vintage/392788996625?hash=item5b740c7211:g:v8sAAOSwCu5esjyz
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Seguso glass Made in Taiwan?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 10:24:31 AM »
Yes and for some time: https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/138637-taiwanese-glass

Then there is the fabulous Liuli: https://www.liuliusa.com/

Any old excuse will do for me! A couple from Liuli...

John

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 01:14:56 PM »
There is another company similar to Liuligangfong called Tittot that make excellent cast items(see examples).

My understanding ifs that they are designed in Taiwan but actually made in mainland China - but I may be wrong.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 03:47:43 PM »
Some of those are good looking glass. I wonder if Murano will hold it's price over time? I am certainly not selling any of my Archimede Seguso glass anytime soon!
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 03:45:20 AM »
It is getting harder for those inexperienced with Murano glass.  The Chinese makers are pinishing paperweights, perfumes and some types of vases to a good standar these days. The easy spot of a ground base has disappeared in many cases. 

I think the Murano makers have themselves to blame due to their refusal to mark properly their product.  A furtherhassle is that they rarely follow a design like Czech or Scandinavian makers do.   Thus the Chinese makers got away with sloppy work because of Murano makers being so keen to be freeform and unique.

I find a huge number of Murano items from the 50s and 60s era are not Murano at all, they are Japanese, by brands like Iwatsu, Kamei, Sanyu, and Hineri.  I remember when they were new the simplest way to diffeerentiate was to look at the small included bubbles.  The Japanese had almost none compared to Murano glass of similar types. 

I live in Australia and high end Murano tends to be unusual here. so I make no claim to really know Murano makers as I have not seen enough labelled or signed work.  I think one can still notice the Chinese makers lack of style - they tend to try to include far too many methods in one item, they tend to make things massive, and they use large amounts of coloured glass that Murano makers avoided by using reflections to make it appear they used lots of colour.  That style of Chinese perfume is similar to these vases that come in many colours - but the finish of the base etc. is now well done..
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 09:57:34 PM »
 I think with 20/20 hindsight that I was lucky because I focused on just one Murano manufacturer, so most of my stuff is fairly easy to ID. I did read an article from an international auction house stating that at least 50% of all claimed, high-quality Murano has been faked!
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand