No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barovier & toso Murano Paperweight? Further information?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline adon30

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Barovier & toso Murano Paperweight? Further information?
« on: March 13, 2021, 10:32:56 AM »
I have identified this as a Barovier & Toso item made with Murano glass. But only because I was lucky enough to still have the labels intact. There was possibly a further label attached at some point as residue remains but unfortunately this has got lost somewhere over time. It was in my Fathers Glass cupboard and assume it’s a paperweight as cannot imagine any other uses.

The piece is transparent and approximately 5” x 2.5”

I am after any further information that people may be able to shed on the piece? Such as age, glass type, technique etc. All other Barovier & Toso pieces I find are quite decorative compared to this simplistic piece.

I have found an example of the Rooster label online but they say AF and this one says AA. What is the difference?

Any help appreciated as trying to find further information and ultimately value the item

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Barovier & toso Murano Paperweight? Further information?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 09:43:11 AM »
Welcome to the message board adon30.

I guess nobody has answered your question because nobody knows. That is a very generic lump of glass that could have been made almost anywhere, it is so unlike any B&T item that I suspect it has nothing to do with them at all. Maybe it was somewhere your father simply kept odd or spare labels for whatever reason.

A Swedish company Lindshammar made blocks in various colours but no doubt they were not alone.

There is a habit on Murano for using the same basic label for various companies, the idea being that the label gives authenticity - the item was made on Murano and not elsewhere. Different letters or codes on the label would indicate different companies, there is a labelling system of that sort in operation today. The rooster is one of the traditional symbols of Murano.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand