No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed Glass Candlesticks ID?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline mikenott

• Members
Pressed Glass Candlesticks ID?
« on: April 02, 2021, 07:45:21 PM »
I have a few of these candlesticks (just like their elegance) but I found my self getting increasingly annoyed at eBay listings claiming them as being the much smaller Sowerby registered candlesticks (the purple ones in the attached image). But I realised i didn't know the manufacturer of the larger (green) candlestick shown in the images - or even if they were British. I did a search of GlassMessageBoard and couldn't find any info. Does anybody on here know anything more about the green candlestick?

Hope to hear from you

Michael.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Pressed Glass Candlesticks ID?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 02:02:05 PM »
Have you checked them under UV?

Offline mikenott

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 08:45:42 AM »
I haven't as I don't have one. I used the green one because it stood out more in photos but I also have a pair in flint glass.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 12:05:28 AM »
Sorry I don't recognise your green candlestick, it is rather attractive though.  :)
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 09:20:25 PM »
I had difficulty attributing these in the past, your green ones if uranium are very desirable.
Here is a link and info on another old thread.
My folks collection have some proper sowerby ones but also several unattributed ones similar to your green ones.
These unknown ones are mentioned in some of the old pressed glass books. Still unknown possibly continental?
Mike

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,66638.msg372492.html#msg372492

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 06:41:52 PM »
Googling "Victorian glass candlesticks" someone on shpock.com had a clear pair of these, I can't link it because they'd been sold. However they said they were Sowerby "cherub and urn" from 1880. The Sowerby 1880-81 catalogue linked here appears to have some similar.

http://www.victorianpressedglass.com/pattern_books.htm#3
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 08:04:25 PM »
Hi yes they are similar but not the same, my fathers collection has some of the Sowerby ones which come with a makers Mark and also the cherub and urn ones in several sizes but no makers mark. The patterning especially around the head is different. When I next visit the museum I’ll get some photos.
These are also mentioned in the book Colin lattesmore 19c moulded glass “unknown”  still great candle sticks especially green ones. Cheers Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand