No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help on Late 1800's Victorian Era Opalescent Bohemian ? British ? Art Glass Vase  (Read 809 times)

Offline snesbit

• Members
Looking for a little help on this opalescent Victorian era vase.

Blown paneled optic with ruby / white opaque canes arranged in a pillared design.  Opalescent highlights to the UV fluorescing pale green ground.

Nice size measuring 13 ¾” high and 6 1/2” across the ruffled top rim.  Circular polished pontil mark.

So I was guessing Bohemian c 1890s but maybe one of the Brits.  Any ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Hi, it looks like the dots on your vase may be formed in a continuous spiral going around the body? If so, it might be made using the technique patented by H Wilkinson in 1905 as described here:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,69040.msg384526.html#msg384526

The technique involved winding a coloured glass thread onto a vertically ribbed shape so that the thread only sticks to the peaks of the ribs. The shape is then spun and heated. Spinning stops the thread sticking to the shape in the troughs between ribs and heating breaks the thread where it hasn’t stuck, the broken threads melt back to a blob or spot where it adhered to the rib peaks. This gives an effect of vertical rows of uniformly spaced dots. It can then be blown and shaped as desired.

In his patent (ref Hajdamach), Wilkinson says that if he uses a fancy thread (instead of a plain coloured one) then a fancy bead or dot would result. Maybe that’s what’s seen in your fancy dots.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline snesbit

• Members
Thanks so much for the information!

Interesting technique and based on a closer examination of the vase, I think you're definitely right.

I guess more research to determine which companies working during the 1900 - 1920 produced this style using the technique.

Again, thank you for your input and time to respond.

Shawn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand