No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Poss. Greener unmarked dish, ideas welcome.  (Read 1671 times)

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
Poss. Greener unmarked dish, ideas welcome.
« on: April 05, 2021, 09:18:52 AM »
Hi,

I've had this pressed glass dish sat at home for a while, no makers marks, not in my books, so unidentifiable to me.  It's a real long shot, but has anyone come across a pattern like this before?

It feels like my Greener 2007 shallow bowl, the dotted pattern in the centre reminds me of the Greener rd 96776 sugar bowl I have, but I've not seen a floral design like this made by them.  The edge is Davidson/Greener in style.

It's a bit beat up, but I only paid a £1 in the charity shop.  It just struck me as rather Greenerish.  I welcome any thoughts on it at all.

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
Re: Poss. Greener unmarked dish, ideas welcome.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 03:21:42 PM »
Spotted an unruffled version in the Sunderland Museum, on the shelf with Angus & Greener plates.  No ID either, but in the section for Made in Sunderland  ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 06:34:53 PM »
regret I can't offer any serious help, but I notice that on the same day Greener were also allocated Reg. No. 96775 -  just out of interest, do we know what that No. related to??

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 06:51:40 PM »
I believe it relates to a pattern.  There is a basket on Worthpoint which has the rd no's 95935 inside 96775.  So assuming 95935 is the rustic handle, it could indicate the other number is the pattern (as on my "Japanese aesthetic" one).

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/victorian-opalique-vaseline-glass-271589367

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 07:30:59 PM »
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 07:40:44 PM »
That's what it says in Jenny Thompson's book for sure, but I'm inclined to think that it's a misattribution along the line.  Either Greener & Co., used the wrong number or there was a typographical error in producing the list for the book.

My reasoning is that I've seen three baskets with the combination of numbers 95935/96775 95935/96776 & 95935/98551. 

The common factor in the three baskets is the shape and the handle, only the pattern changes.  If 96775 was the handle design then surely that would have been a common number in all three baskets, not just on one of them?

And I still haven't been able to get to Kew to check it out  :'(

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 08:09:17 PM »
Thought showing photos might help explain my reasoning a better.

So, my Greener basket has both Rd Nos, 98551 (Japanese aesthetic) & 95935 (1st image). 
The Rd No 95935 is right at the base of the handle, whilst the other number is in the pattern (2nd image).
Now in Thompson, it says that 95935 is part of a pattern included in 95881 (JA), but I have the 96776 sugar bowl and that pattern is included in 98551 (JA). (3rd image) - Ed. The pattern I believe to be 96775 is not part of the JA (98551) pattern.

I just feel that the text description for those two lines in Thompson's book accidentally got swapped, or the numbers got muddled up at Greeners when they were incorporating them into the moulds.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 01:53:40 AM »
Thanks Linz, I have some Greener pieces with RD numbers on somewhere, including a basket. I'll try and dig them out and check what numbers are on which bit. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 07:35:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies, though I'm probably more confused than ever.              I'm more than happy to visit Kew and photograph all of the related Registers and Representations pages, if people think that will help with this query.    I hadn't realized this issue was as complicated as it appears.      However, in the meantime please let me know if I - or anyone else - has already done so for any of these items  -  there's no point doubling up.

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »
Thanks to Paul, the kew representation is the same as Thompsons book, at least for the pattern, Rd 95935.  Makes me wonder if the folks at Greeners got muddled up!

So, going back to my original query about the ruffled plate... 

I spotted a commemorative plate in a different section of the exhibit on my last visit. The shape and style of the plate is the same, including the centre.  No makers mark on that plate either though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand