No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID help for new collector - large Elio Raffaeli pigeon  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Dorismite

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Ducks and birds
    • New Zealand
ID help for new collector - large Elio Raffaeli pigeon
« on: April 24, 2021, 11:27:54 PM »
Hi team

I very excitedly bought 2 pieces of glass from a collectibles market this weekend.
My favourite animals are ducks and birds and I fell in love with this heavy and large pigeon.
It has Elio Raffaeli signature on the base but I can’t find anything similar to it when I google it. There are no stickers or labels or other marks.
It stands about 18cm high from base to top of head and about 30cm long to end of tail.
I know that Elio Raffaeli did some vintage Murano bird pieces but was hoping to find out more and if this was a Murano piece? I think the other name that came up was Formia?
Any help gratefully accepted. I’m just a brand new baby first time collector and am very keen to learn. Even if I’ve been sold a whoopsies then that would be great.

Thanks so much

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: ID help for new collector - large Elio Raffaeli pigeon
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 12:17:19 PM »
Hello and welcome.  :)
i don't think this is any sort of whoopsie. For a new collector you have a very good eye, this is something very good. I can't tell you more than that, this isn't my area, but we do have plenty of people here who will be able to help.
I've never seen a pigeon like this before. It could be that it is difficult to find on the web because it is an unusual or scarce piece.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 03:02:40 PM »
Apparently Elio Raffaeli was the co-founder of the ARS Murano factory. There is a similarly shaped bird shown on Etsy online.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 03:34:41 PM »
My searches are all a lot smaller than they used to be, and things I used to be able to find easily have all vanished.
I don't know it it's the difference between windoze 7 and 10, or new regulations limiting parameters or the sudden banning of things where I live.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand