No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: white/opal Marmite jars by AGM - Aus or NZ ?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline DaveN

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • New Zealand
    • New Zealand
white/opal Marmite jars by AGM - Aus or NZ ?
« on: May 04, 2021, 10:01:46 PM »
I research small items for the Packard Motor Museum, Maungatapere, Northland.

One lot of those items are six white/opal glass Marmite jars, marked Property of Sanitarium Health Food Ltd. They are also marked AGM (logo)  V893  17. They are not attributed to any country and originally had paper labels. Screw lids.

AGM formed by amalgamation in 1915 in Australia and opened the Penrose glassworks in New Zealand in 1922.
Sanitarium formed in 1898 in Australia and opened a sister company in New Zealand about 1901. They imported bulk Marmite from the UK and packaged it for retail sales.

The museum has four other opal jars marked AGM and I have five of my own. Several other museums in NZ and Australia also hold these jars though they are attributed to Sanitarium as maker.

I am interested in where the jars V893 were made and wonder if there are any catalogues?
In the absence of "Made in New Zealand" it is possible the same pattern was used in Australia and New Zealand.

One of the museums also has a Vegemite jar, AGM V879.

Thoughts?

Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: white/opal Marmite jars by AGM - Aus or NZ ?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 06:58:46 PM »
Apologies for the late welcome but welcome to the board :)

It might be more helpful for you and more traffic to your enquiry if this was moved to the Glass identification topic, especially since the origin of the glass is as yet unknown.

You may have a button marked 'report to moderator'.  If you do and you click on that you could ask them to move it for you :)

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline DaveN

• Members
    • New Zealand
    • New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 09:26:49 PM »
Hi Flying Free,
I think it was moved to Glass Identification.

I finally looked on my own shelves, I have 10 various AGM bottles/jars accumulated over the last 40 years, including a Jan Vok Pty Ltd unusual shape.  This is probably 1960s and held Advocaat or liqueurs.

Pics if anyone is interested,
cheers
Dave 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 09:35:22 PM »
Hi Dave

We always like to have pictures  :)  They can help in identifying makers.

It sometime takes a little while for members to come to the board so please do look out of email alerts for replies.

m

Offline DaveN

• Members
    • New Zealand
    • New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 07:45:58 AM »
Hi, we know who made them -

Australian Glass Manufacturers Co Ltd was formed in 1915 by the merger of the Melbourne Glass Bottle Works Company and the Waterloo Glass Works Company Limited. Manufacturers of Agee preserving jars ("A.G."). Variously AGEE in similar sizes to American jars, or Agee. The logo is GM fitted in a capital A. 

They opened a new glassworks in Penrose, New Zealand, in 1922. 

AGM started Crown Crystal Glass in Sydney in 1926, which I see has been posted about here.

Sanitarium Health Food Ltd started earlier, importing bulk Marmite from the UK and repackaging into the distinctive opal glass jars.  Sanitarium also opened an N. Z. company.

My interest is in finding more information, related to the different numbers on the bottom, which I would assume relate to the year of manufacture, but perhaps are changes in moulds.

Or even a catalogue....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 08:02:21 AM »
Well sleuthed. It depends which numbers on the bottom you are talking about. They are extremely unlikely to relate to dates, as changing a mould is expensive if it's not worn out. Simple numbers such as 1 or 2 often relate to the machine that produced the item (often seen on French machine blown items). Or to volume or size. More complex numbers probably relate to item model number, which may or may not be a catalogue number (unlikely if it's a commissioned item, as they only appear in workbooks not catalogues). The another option for a number is factory number

Offline DaveN

• Members
    • New Zealand
    • New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 10:51:27 AM »
Hi Lustrousstone,
the first AGM mark was entwined letters 1916-1923, then AGM in a line with a letter code 1923-1950, then GM within the A date from 1930 to today. The V893 should be a job number, but the extra number, 1 etc, is not mentioned :-(
https://hiddencanberra.webs.com/Dumps/CHAPTER%20ONE%20Dating%20the%20Glass%20in%20Stirling%20Park.pdf
p18 in the pdf....
The numbered jars I'm thinking of are all V893, thence 1, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 17.
The 11 can be seen on the first jpeg above. They are all the same size, probably 8oz.
The lettering is always clear.

One NZ archaeological report states AGM NZ at Penrose made amber glass, a second machine added in 1927 made clear glass. It is possible the opal glass was always made in Australia.

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand