Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Bohemia, Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic, Austria

Sklo Union glass question - were any ever produced in

(1/2) > >>

flying free:
red?

I love all the colours but on re-arranging my display this evening a question that's played on my mind forever came up again - no reds?
To be honest, the display has most of the colours and I have a red vase in it from elsewhere  but it looks odd - it doesn't work with the other colours.  I'm sure that's not the reason why I've never seen a red Sklo Union vase though.

glassobsessed:
Interesting, never noticed before. A case in point? - https://www.clutterfingers.com/listing/636366919/rosice-sklo-glass-lens-or-bullet-vases

John

flying free:
It's been on my mind since I started my collection about 8 years ago  ::) but for some reason I've never asked.
I'm musing here - I guess contemporary/20th century red is maybe either gold ruby (e.g Whitefriars), copper ruby, or selenium?
There seems to be some mid century Scandinavian mold blown glass in red.  I have a couple- think  Aseda - and  think Riihimaaki used a red - I've kept them because I quite like the shapes but can't afford the real Scandinavian mid century avant garde shapes so never made a collection.  I don't think it's gold ruby but I suppose maybe copper ruby.
I think some Scandinavian makers used selenium and also I think there is some Russian and Ukrainian glass which used selenium?

So I'm assuming red is difficult to work with ( I think ?) but it's really strange none are in the Sklo Union sets. Is it difficult to produce consistent colour and also expensive maybe?

glassobsessed:
Perhaps cost or prevailing fashion would be the biggest factors, I suspect workability might be less of a reason in this case.

flying free:
mm, been thinking.  I think red needs to be cased because of the depth of the colour. That wouldn't be possible with Sklo Union pressed pieces would it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version