No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sklo Union glass question - were any ever produced in  (Read 1378 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Sklo Union glass question - were any ever produced in
« on: May 06, 2021, 07:47:55 PM »
red?

I love all the colours but on re-arranging my display this evening a question that's played on my mind forever came up again - no reds?
To be honest, the display has most of the colours and I have a red vase in it from elsewhere  but it looks odd - it doesn't work with the other colours.  I'm sure that's not the reason why I've never seen a red Sklo Union vase though.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Sklo Union glass question - were any ever produced in
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 03:28:26 PM »
Interesting, never noticed before. A case in point? - https://www.clutterfingers.com/listing/636366919/rosice-sklo-glass-lens-or-bullet-vases

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 06:04:14 PM »
It's been on my mind since I started my collection about 8 years ago  ::) but for some reason I've never asked.
I'm musing here - I guess contemporary/20th century red is maybe either gold ruby (e.g Whitefriars), copper ruby, or selenium?
There seems to be some mid century Scandinavian mold blown glass in red.  I have a couple- think  Aseda - and  think Riihimaaki used a red - I've kept them because I quite like the shapes but can't afford the real Scandinavian mid century avant garde shapes so never made a collection.  I don't think it's gold ruby but I suppose maybe copper ruby.
I think some Scandinavian makers used selenium and also I think there is some Russian and Ukrainian glass which used selenium?

So I'm assuming red is difficult to work with ( I think ?) but it's really strange none are in the Sklo Union sets. Is it difficult to produce consistent colour and also expensive maybe?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 06:56:24 AM »
Perhaps cost or prevailing fashion would be the biggest factors, I suspect workability might be less of a reason in this case.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 01:15:50 PM »
mm, been thinking.  I think red needs to be cased because of the depth of the colour. That wouldn't be possible with Sklo Union pressed pieces would it?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 03:27:23 PM »
Pressed glass doesn't mean it can't be red. Davidson made it but it may have been a cost thing as there was apparently a shortage of selenium post War http://www.cloudglass.com/davidsonpostwar.htm

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 04:09:21 PM »
Thanks for the link and info Christine.  Very interesting. 
There's an interesting timeline of Sklo Union glass production here (I think?)
https://www.sklo-union.eu/history
It seems the Sklo Union pieces were produced for a long period.

Quite possibly cost of and shortage of selenium then as using gold ruby or copper ruby may have necessitated it being cased which wasn't possible on mass production glass?

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »
Thank you! 
Only produced on one day.  Wow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia