No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars? Can someone help please  (Read 757 times)

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
Whitefriars? Can someone help please
« on: May 15, 2021, 01:27:43 PM »
Hi.  I found this is a charity shop on a recent visit to Scotland and my immediate thought was Whitefriars, but now that I've got it home I cannot find anything simillar in my reference books or in any of the caaelogues online.  Initially I thought it was shape 9294 but although it is the correct diameter (5 inches) it is much small in height - it's only approx 2 inches tall - see image 4 as a comparison against a 9294 dish.  It has a good ground out polished pontil and good age related scratches on the base (see image 3).  Anyone any ideas / pointers.  Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: Whitefriars? Can someone help please
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 01:44:32 PM »
That colour looks like the Whitefriars sea green and the shape is the same as your blue example.
Over the years i have seen a few friggers that have come out of the Whitefriars glassworks.
I think that is what you have.
Tim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline seanduxbury

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 06:48:24 PM »
Hi Tim - never thought of that.  I didn't know that friggers came out of Whitefriars.  The thought I had was an apprentice piece but again I thought these were possibly destroyed and never allowed out of the factory. Sean

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 07:07:53 PM »
I believe that glassblowers at Whitefriars made made gift items for friends and family.
Whether this was an official perk of the job i dont know.
Tim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand