No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Boda Vase - trying to find designer  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Journeyman

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Swedish Glass
    • United Kingdom
Boda Vase - trying to find designer
« on: May 08, 2021, 07:40:16 PM »
Hi there - this is my first post so apologies if I get anything wrong.

I am posting as I bought a vase at auction and have been carrying out some research - I think I have got about as far as I can and was wondering if anyone else might be able to offer any more detail

I've posted some images of the vase - the pics are not clear but i am pretty sure the etched marks on the bottom read Boda 2633/1047, so I'm assuming that it comes from Boda before the Kosta Boda merger. There is no specific artists signature and the style of the image seems to look  different to that of other Boda vases that I can find online. The closest i can find are some Hoglund Boda vases. But while it would be great if it was a Hoglund piece, i think the style is different and is closer to some I have seen from Orrefors.

Wondered if anyone could shed any more light on this vase?

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: Boda Vase - trying to find designer
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 09:33:15 PM »
Welcome to the glass message board journeyman.
Lovely engraving on your vase.
At the top of the page where your posting is, you will see a very good link to old Swedish glass catalogues
kindly uploaded by Kerstin Froberg.
There are a few Boda catalogues there of all era's.
Good luck,
Tim

Offline Journeyman

• Members
    • Swedish Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 03:48:59 PM »
Thanks for the links. I've had a good root around in some of those, and also through my own searches. From this the most similar style appears to be Fritz Kallenberg, although his pieces seem to have often been signed with his name.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 07:39:24 PM »
No luck trying to find information about the Boda numbers on the base of your vase.
I can see why you were thinking of Orrefors.
In the book  Scandinavian glass 1930-2000, smoke and ice, they reproduce some photos from a 1937 Orrefors catalogue.
There is a vase with a very similar design by Vike Lindstrand (L 1867) and on another page there is a very similar shaped vase as yours,
( N 1707).
In the past i have written to the Swedish glass museum and they have been very helpful.
I think the figure depicted on your vase may be Salacia, consort of Neptune.
Hope this is of some help.
Tim

Offline Journeyman

• Members
    • Swedish Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 03:47:19 PM »
Thanks Essi - it was Lindstrand that I though it resembled, but I thought that would be too lucky, and I can't find any evidence of him ever working for Boda before the Kosta Boda merger.

I hadn't thought to approach the Swedish Glass Museum - thanks for the suggestion. I hope that Google Translate can help me with my Swedish....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand