No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pagoda patterned trinket set - ID = Chinapressung by Brockwitz  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
the word Pagoda is because I don't know what pattern this set is described as  -  I can't imagine it really is Pagoda despite the presence of one, though in view of the design then something possibly of a Chinese nature, and it's a new one on me.      Depression glass patterns are often dense in coverage, though shallow in their degree of relief -  and those that are u. don't usually give a strong response under the torch, however, this one is definitely u., and not a manganese green;-).      Charity shop purchase recently, and though I've tried to find the pattern on the screen, nothing to match has come up, so any suggestions please.       Whether what you see here is a complete set I've no idea  -  always thought these sets came with two sticks, but certainly nothing else would fit on the tray which measures c. 12.5 inches  x  8 inches (315  x  205 mm).    Date wise I thought most of the Depression glass was associated with 1930/1940s -  but not remotely my area so could be very wrong.       Perhaps it's the 'Willow Pattern' and the three characters are missing;-)              Thanks for looking :)     

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Depression glass 'Pagoda' trinket set.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 04:45:03 PM »
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 05:09:24 PM »
I would just say I wouldn't call it "depression glass" as that's the American term for glass made around that time by companies like Hazel Atlas, Jeannette etc., I think we prefer "pressed glass". This type of green European glass from the 1930's is very often uranium glass, and usually glows well, but to a varying degree, as do the American versions.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2021, 05:21:18 PM »
thanks very much for the quick reply  -  I'd gone for the States Depression suggestion as this all-over low-relief pattern is seen commonly on most of the Depression material - I recall poinsettia in particular being like that  -  unlike the European trinket set patterns that usually show deep intaglio designs, but my knowledge of these things is obviously now rather lean.     Agree, certainly shouldn't call this one Depression - would be very misleading.                          A very big thanks for such a quick ID   -  I guess we also owe Pamela a big thanks too for including these Brockwitz designs.   I wonder for how long post 1931 this pattern was made.     Anyway, your help much appreciated, and if anyone wanted to drop by it's available gratis, though I certainly wouldn't post the set:)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 08:22:48 PM »
It's in the 1936 catalogue but not in the 1941 catalogue, so sometime between the two. It's amazes me they weren't busy with other things at the time!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 08:44:12 PM »
their economy in the thirties wasn't good, so we might assume that this, and perhaps other designs, ceased some time between 1931 and the late thirties  -  as you say it seems to have gone by '41 and may have been dropped before then.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 09:32:31 PM »
since my suggestion of origin and name was completely wrong, would request please that the Mods. correct the ID, if possible, in line with 'Chinapressung by Brockwitz' as kindly provided by NevB.  Thanks.

Offline Jayne

• Members
    • Trinket Sets, Uranium, Varied,
    • England, UK
Re: Pagoda patterned trinket set - ID = Chinapressung by Brockwitz
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 01:39:43 PM »
Super pieces Paul and many thanks again for donating the set to my collection! :-*

I can see the very strong similarity to "depression glass" that you noticed, also the Willow Pattern, but yes Brockwitz 42000 Chinapressung shown in the 1931 catalogue on glas-musterbuch.de :

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Brockwitz-1931.42+B6YmFja1BJRD00MiZwcm9kdWN0SUQ9MTc0OSZwaWRfcHJvZHVjdD00MiZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

Pamela also has some examples in her pressglas-pavillion.de:

https://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/toilettenservice/09909.jpg

Interestingly, her green pieces appear to be frosted whereas yours are clear green, both uranium I'm sure.
Please help identify Mystery Glass Trinket Sets
https://www.glasstrinketsets.com/Gallery/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Pagoda patterned trinket set - ID = Chinapressung by Brockwitz
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 03:15:24 PM »
Hi Jayne  -  I'm glad this set has gone to a good home and become part of your museum - one of the first things I do with green glass is to test for u.v. and this one is definitely a glower.          Many thanks for your hospitality, and if anyone would enjoy a guided tour of what is arguably the finest trinket set collection in the U.K., give Jayne a call and book an appointment.   Aside from a great glass collection there are fine views of the wind running through the grass - horses and the Surrey countryside.            Jayne has promised to produce a mainly picture based catalogue raisonne - with some text, soon  -  mind you I heard that ten years ago ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand