No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible Scottish weight for ID.  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible Scottish weight for ID.
« on: June 28, 2021, 08:52:59 PM »
Never got to grips with weights, so taking a slightly educated guess this one could be Scottish.      The clear dome has a definite sun-purpled appearance, though even now I'm not entirely sure it's not being caused by the purple coloured cushion.   Smallish snapped pontil scar, and a good amount of wear  -  could be 50 years plus in age, but again only guessing  -  could be more or equally less  -  another recent charity shop acquisition.               About 2.25 inches high with diameter c. 3 inches (55 mm x 75 mm).            Unfortunately, now parted with the couple of p/weight books I did have so very much in the dark, and appreciate any ideas on ID and thanks for looking.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: possible Scottish weight for ID.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 11:06:43 AM »
Think you are right with Scottish Paul, has a distinct Ysart look and the purple dome along with other features would fit with an early weight from that source. I couldn't tell you if Paul Ysart or another member of the Ysart family, likewise whether made at Monart in the 30s or 40s or just a bit later at Vasart (Ysart Brothers period). Need someone with more expertise...

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 12:53:48 PM »
many thanks for taking a look John  -  I do get the feeling that it could well have the sort of age that you're speaking of.     Hopefully someone will be able to be more precise and offer an attribution.
Paul. 

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 07:03:44 PM »
Hi
Yes I agree early 30's - 40's Ysart, not a design I recall seeing before though, I'd be leaning more towards Salvador than Paul I think. Kevin's the man we need though.

Nick

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 08:40:29 PM »
Hi Nick - thanks and appreciate the help - certainly makes this a vastly more interesting weight than the usual modern Caithness examples I see.      I hope Kevin spots this and has the time to look in.  :)

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 10:30:18 AM »
Hi there,

I agree with Nick. IMHO, it is not by Paul Ysart. I always thought these canes were Salvador Ysart's. That and other characteristics (such as the pontil mark) makes me think this weight is by Salvador Ysart.

SophieB

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 12:59:54 PM »
Hi - as you can probably sense Sophie, I'm very much ignorant in this area of weights, and sounds like you have vastly more knowledge than me, so take you word for all that you say.    So, the consensus appears to be that most likely Salvador and probably 1930 - 1940 period.       thanks for looking in. 

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 07:29:11 PM »
Hi Paul,

The person who has unparalleled knowledge in this field is KevinH. So just check back and he will tell you for certain.

SophieB

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 08:46:32 PM »
thanks Sophie  -  hopefully Kevin will see this thread in the coming days.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 08:48:29 PM »
Seen the thread and made suitable grunting noises and came up with a conclusion but not 100% sure.

I will be back after I have checked with stuff in articles and presentations.  ;D

In the meantime, Paul, could you please confirm whether the flower is "floating" above the ground or laying fully connected to the ground. And is the purple ground set above the base or level with it? A straight-on side-view photo would answer those points.

Also, any chance of a photo showing the central area of the base lookiing directly down above the mark, such that we can see if there are particular features like tiny "radial lines" or a "mesh-like" pattern. I do not think those features are there but best to make sure.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand