No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown Steel Colored Mid Century Blown Stopper Scandinavian Decanter Flask???  (Read 713 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Wrecking my brains inside out on this heavy piece of glass it's steel blue
hot worked glass rim has a heavy hollow over size stopper perfect fit, Base has
lots of wear and a double polished scar. The shape seems Scandinavian to me but
for the life of me i can't find it anywhere any ideas from anybody would be most helpfull
of you and save my headache too  ???All the best!!!
DAimensions 8" x 5" approx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
taking a guess with a very small amount of education - how about Wedgwood - since I once had one of their bottles a little similar to this style, and that too had a hollow stopper with very slender hole running through from the stub.     Not that it's confirmation of any kind, but they they did this colouway I seem to recall.      They may have been influenced by Scandi styles.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Hiya Paul,
Yes i also agree to the color being Wedgwood or Lemington Steel very similar
i too thought the color when i purchased it reminded me of this however i had never
seen a stoppered vase version before as you mentioned they were very Scandinavian
centric from the books i have, I notice a couple of similar shaped vases so i think your thoughts
have a good weight maybe similar to Mdina glass Wedgwood supplied a stopper option on some
items?? Thanks  8)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
most of my books have now gone and I forget the title/author for Wedgwood glass  -  a slim softback form memory  -  and in the absence of books not always safe to rely on memory.     The backstamp for Wedgwood - when it was applied -  was an outline of the Portland Vase (sandblasted not acid etched), but perhaps like some other houses it wasn't used on seconds maybe.    So my contribution now exhausted I'm afraid. :)             There was once a site devoted to Wedgwood glass, but think it was abandoned fairly early in its life  -  would have been a very useful archive had it survived.    But this is a good looking piece, and you might one day find some information.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand