No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rummer/wine glass ?  (Read 676 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Rummer/wine glass ?
« on: December 31, 2021, 01:54:28 PM »
Hi , this glass is 5.75” high and I’m finding it a bit tricky to pin a date ? I’m fairly certain the bowl is moulded and then the cutting done , but the slab cuts were part of the mould ??The stem and foot however are applied in the same way a much older glass would be put together ! ,almost like a modernish glass joined with a much older one . The foot has a polished pontil with various sized air bubbles here and there ,any thoughts thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Rummer/wine glass ?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 04:38:57 PM »
If there are the usual striations on the clear part of the bowl then this will have been blown then manipulated  -  if not and there are indications of mould seams then it will have been press-moulded as you suggest, with all of the cut decoration made when the glass was complete.             If you can see the remains of grinding marks on the panels  -  by using a lens  -  then they were cut  -  a type of slice cutting possibly.
The knop looks unusual for a rummer - possibly a cushion knop, and not entirely sure of the shape of the bowl - it might technically be an ovoid which is the most common of bowl shapes for rummers, but it doesn't compare well with others of that shape.
The lower cutting looks to be slice/panel cutting over which is a band of relief diamonds, and all of this surmounted by what look like flutes.           Is there a blip on the rim where the scissors would have started and finished the cut?

The heyday of the rummer was c. 1800 - 1850, though they did start a bit earlier and went on for most of the C19 - both unpolished and polished pontil marks seem to go on during most of that time, so a feature not too reliable for dating - if anything those with very flat feet are possibly later than examples with a slightly elevated foot. 
I'm not entirely sold on the idea of this being a rummer  -  it may well be, I'm not expert by any means - but always possible this is a goblet, but whatever, it's a nice glass with some refined features, and as for date I'm going to be very vague and suggest middle third C19 - it's not an easy piece to pigeonhole  -  then again it might be one of the early C20 pieces  -  they were well made too.              Assume you don't have a copy of Timothy Mills book ?

Let's see what others think.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 06:26:11 PM »
In his tumbler book, Brooks says the panels around the bottom “...cut square at the top to produce a continuous line round the body” was a Regency feature (page 11). In the mid victorian period the panels were tapered off to create a series of arches at the top (page 18). Don’t know how hard and fast that is but assume it would apply to stemware as well as tumblers.

Usually it’s easy to see if it’s been moulded when you look closely? If the bowl was moulded then cut, it sounds like you might be talking about a ‘figured blank’ which was supposedly invented c1904 see http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,70878.msg394489.html

I tend to associate that sort of tapered cylindrical knop with French glasses, but that might be prejudice as I got some like that a while ago by mistake.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 09:44:11 AM »
Thank you Paul &Ekimp , lot’s of things to look into and I should add when flicked it rings for an age .I don’t think I can look at a drinking glass this morning !!🙃,but I’ll take a real close look later on .😀

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand