No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent "eggshell" glass vase; fine double overlay floral cameo work. French?  (Read 924 times)

Offline AdrianW

• Members
    • Art deco
    • England
As part of my apparent ongoing quest to own all the strange unidentifiable glass in the world... I bring you a small mystery cameo vase :)

In terms of detail and style it reminds me of Webb, however it feels very different to my other Webb pieces, so... I'm wondering whether it might be French?

No makers mark, however it is a beautiful thing IMO.

Polished base (possibly slightly concave), polished rim. Smooth eggshell finish, it's heavier than my Webb pieces. Cameo is raised. Height is 6cm.

Decor is Convolvulus/Bindweed. Any ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline AdrianW

• Members
    • Art deco
    • England
OK, I took this down to clean it, and I noticed something interesting about the structure of it that I hadn't noticed before.

The interior of the bowl is flashed with opaque white glass, but the main body is formed of a layer of clear glass, and then the red and white cameo layers are placed on top of that clear glass. The cameo is then cut into those top two layers. The clear layer is fairly smoothly finished, unlike my Webb vases.

So - thin white opal flash inside, clear body glass, overlaid with red flash and white flash layers into which the cameo has been been cut. Very delicate engraving on the cameo.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Could it be a Webb perfume bottle? There are many online with silver collars and tops but not one with the same decoration as yours, Webb did do a Convolvulus pattern. Yours looks slightly rough around the rim where the collar would have fitted and the size is right.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline AdrianW

• Members
    • Art deco
    • England
Could it be a Webb perfume bottle? There are many online with silver collars and tops but not one with the same decoration as yours, Webb did do a Convolvulus pattern. Yours looks slightly rough around the rim where the collar would have fitted and the size is right.

Thank you Nev; I think you're almost certainly correct. The two layer red/white cameos are usually Webb attributed, and as you say, they did do a Convolvulus pattern. I was put off the scent by this being very different in weight/feel/construction to my other Webb cameo vases.

I also think you could be right about it being a perfume bottle stripped of the silver mount - if so, that's somewhat annoying, but would explain the chipping...

Good shout; thank you!

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
I think the silver collar would have been fitted to a raised neck. Perhaps it got broken off and the neck was then ground back to make a vase. Pity the silvers missing as it could have given you a date and complete they fetch good prices  :(.

Offline AdrianW

• Members
    • Art deco
    • England
I think the silver collar would have been fitted to a raised neck. Perhaps it got broken off and the neck was then ground back to make a vase. Pity the silvers missing as it could have given you a date and complete they fetch good prices  :(.

Unfortunately this one wasn't exactly a car boot sale find. Odd though, I would have thought if they were grinding it, they'd grind out the chips around the rim as well?

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
That's true, perhaps the collar was just glued on top somehow.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Vase with similar form and size here: https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/19th_c_john_northwood_pink_cameo_glass_vase_c1890/as864a078

Something about the leaves on this stunning vase, maybe wishful thinking: https://img.antiquesreporter.com.au/140617MOME/675.jpg

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand