No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass vase  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Pressed glass vase
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 01:27:33 PM »
Having dug around some more, have to admit I was surprised to see the similarity of design between the dark blue vase in m's link together with m's suggestion that this might possibly be a Sowerby design  -  and a very similar shaped vase on Pamela's 'pressglas-pavillon site which has a positive Sowerby provenance  ............  was it this similarity m, between your piece and the Sowerby vase that made you think of Sowerby for yours?   Have to say I'd have put money on the dark blue example being eastern European rather than British.       See this link for the example on Pamela Wessendorf's museum    https://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/02004.html .               There were many glass designs produced during the interwar years that were understandably influenced by art deco  -  with fins, angular and stepped layers  etc. in what we'd call the art deco style.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 08:52:36 PM »
Hmm Paul.  I've always 'known' my vase was Sowerby but it's been so long that I like to be a bit circumspect just in case :)
However, comparing it to the one on Pamela's site the fins appear to start further down the body of the vase whereas those on her vase start at the rim.

So whilst I was 'sure' but trying to appear not just in case, it might in fact be that either mine or hers isn't Sowerby. 
I was happy with mine being Sowerby because I think they produced that blue in a boat shaped bowl so I felt ok with whatever research evidence I found at the time.
Not so sure now  :-X

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 08:12:54 AM »
Well, I'd have put my shirt on your blue example being eastern Europe, but now having seen the vase on Pamela's site I'm very much unsure, and in view of the similarity between the two, then perhaps yours too does stand a chance of being Sowerby - who knows.             I could be wrong, but imagine that Pamela Wessendorf has taken Roger Dodsworth's attribution as gospel, and suspect most of us would follow suite  -  the provenance he quotes seems unassailable.       Perhaps the greater mystery might be that, despite the overall general similarity of design, it appears odd that there are small differences, and two similar but slightly different designs seems odd if they were coming from the same source.     We might never crack this one. :(

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand