No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Possibly Bohemian Enamelled & Gilded Pedestal Vases  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Large Possibly Bohemian Enamelled & Gilded Pedestal Vases
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 10:29:03 AM »
Ok, thanks. You mention about the possibility of the frosting being used to improve adherence of the decoration which would seem a good idea, I don’t know if they worried about that. I don’t have any frosted glass with fancy decoration but a few pieces with gilt bands, like on Roy’s. On my pieces the gilding is only on the areas that are not frosted, no wonder it wears off!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 12:18:06 PM »
I suppose you also have to take into account that these pieces we own have probably been handled by many people and dusted (hideous for gilding etc ) for many years - 100-150 years.  So in that context, not bad really.

The decorated and frosted transparent vases I'm referring to have all their various decorations both gilding and enamelling intact and date to the 1820s so 200 years ago.   They are in museum collections.  But that's another reason that makes me think they were not  'cheap'. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 12:34:17 PM »
I suppose you also have to take into account that these pieces we own have probably been handled by many people and dusted (hideous for gilding etc ) for many years - 100-150 years.  So in that context, not bad really.

The decorated and frosted transparent vases I'm referring to have all their various decorations both gilding and enamelling intact and date to the 1820s so 200 years ago.   They are in museum collections.  But that's another reason that makes me think they were not  'cheap'. 

So as an example of what I mean here, I have a piece of 'matted' glass from that period. It's a lilac blue with shades of darker blue  that turns red held close under bright light.  The enamelling on it is perfect, absolutely perfect. Fired on I think.  The gilding bands can be seen where they were placed but have been worn off.  It looks as though that portion wasn't 'matted' but I wonder if that's because the gilding was applied on top of a 'glue' to ensure the gilding adhered. So the glue has left a sheeny band to be seen where the gilding has almost completely worn off.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 02:43:28 PM »
Yes, not fair to expect perfection after 100+ years :o I probably could have phrased that better when I said ‘cheap’ but was speculating that it may have been a less expensive or less technically demanding alternative to opaline glass, if in fact opaline glass was particularly expensive or difficult to produce.

It looks as though that portion wasn't 'matted' but I wonder if that's because the gilding was applied on top of a 'glue' to ensure the gilding adhered. So the glue has left a sheeny band to be seen where the gilding has almost completely worn off.

If there was a glue I would imaging you would be able to see signs of decay after 200 years. If the glue was a cold process and not fired on, it would’ve been something organic.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 02:46:04 PM »
Gold is fired on; the glue is a size of some sort and the medium for applying the gold

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 03:08:07 PM »
Thank you Christine.  I thought it would be fired on and also couldn't remember the word 'size' for the glue!  My head's not really in a glass place at the moment. Well either that or my memory's shot  :-\

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2021, 05:37:07 PM »
Yes, not fair to expect perfection after 100+ years :o I probably could have phrased that better when I said ‘cheap’ but was speculating that it may have been a less expensive or less technically demanding alternative to opaline glass, if in fact opaline glass was particularly expensive or difficult to produce.

If there was a glue I would imaging you would be able to see signs of decay after 200 years. If the glue was a cold process and not fired on, it would’ve been something organic.

This is from The Engineer's and Mechanic's Encyclopaedia 1836  VOL II Luke Hebert - page 672 - a very detailed and thorough description of how size was made  :o and then the same also regarding size for gilding:

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Engineer_s_and_Mechanic_s_Encyclop%C3%A6/JPKzAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=uranium+glass+cornwall+1836&pg=PA679&printsec=frontcover

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand