No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help! Does anyone know anything about Franco Moretti????  (Read 2883 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Help! Does anyone know anything about Franco Moretti????
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 12:34:59 AM »
You are not going to make a fortune with Moretti. From my POV he makes (made?) fine glass with strong colours and style. He seems to have focused on providing sets, perfume bottles, vases etc.  He struck me as a maker focused on making money rather than art glass and good on him!
I had a few of his pieces early on in my collecting but got rid of them. I think they are undervalued when compared to the rubbish out there.
There is a lot of it in Leslie Pina's Italian Glass. I suspected he ran a large glass factory as the output always struck me as large.
Reminds me a bit of Nason another undervalued glass maker.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline GlassSeeker21

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian glass
    • usa
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 12:47:57 AM »
Do you have any factual information about Franco? I strongly doubt the piece I've found was mass produced and signed as well. I'm not looking to make money from my collection. I just want a variety of unique quality pieces. It just doesn't make sense that if he were a high volume producer of art glass that he would have literally no recognition for it online. I will have to post some pics....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 11:10:17 AM »
The question is, is your piece signed or is it marked. It may say Franco Morreti but that does not necessarily mean he signed it or even made it. Perhaps he just designed it

Offline GlassSeeker21

• Members
    • Italian glass
    • usa
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 02:05:21 PM »
Ok so here’s my mindset on this. I truly was just curious about Franco and the history behind his glassmaking. As we all know, sometimes it’s extremely difficult to verify if a piece is what you think it is. I spent an entire evening just trying to figure out what the signature on the piece said and finding other pieces signed “Franco Moretti”. The antique dealer I bought the piece from said they researched the name and didn’t recognize the artist. Confusing fact I’ve learned about Franco’s signed pieces is that his last name was often written first from left to right. Very confusing when you are looking for a person you don’t now. So his pieces often looked like “ Moretti Franco”. His “F” looks like a “G” so nailing down the name was very challenging. In comparing other signatures I’ve seen on his work, I’m fairly confident mine is a match. I will post pics and let you decide for yourself. Even if this piece wasn’t made by Franco himself, it’s exceptionally well done and I won’t be partying ways with it anytime soon .

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2021, 02:32:14 PM »
Franco Morretti seems to have been one of those prolific but mystery companies. I spent some time researching earlier today and it seems that no one knows much about him.

Offline GlassSeeker21

• Members
    • Italian glass
    • usa
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2021, 03:26:15 PM »
Trying to post a pic of the signature…..major resizing going on! Scratches on base but nowhere else.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2021, 12:28:03 AM »
Do you have any factual information about Franco? I strongly doubt the piece I've found was mass produced and signed as well. I'm not looking to make money from my collection. I just want a variety of unique quality pieces. It just doesn't make sense that if he were a high volume producer of art glass that he would have literally no recognition for it online. I will have to post some pics....
Hi, Can you post a picture of the item itself. Signatures on Murano glass are mostly taken with a grain of salt.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline GlassSeeker21

• Members
    • Italian glass
    • usa
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2021, 01:11:12 AM »
I haven't had time to take good pics yet but I will soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand