No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: WALSH Sunshine Amber Tumblers  (Read 1597 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: WALSH Sunshine Amber Tumblers
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 08:58:25 AM »
Here is the latest addition, slightly smaller at 85mm compared to 93mm. but who cares. Going back to the Walsh mark, Reynolds on P50. of his book has photos of the marks. These are almost in ornate script form with the W being formed by two intersecting V's, very different to the block capital mark on my tumblers. Just a thought but could those marks be the ones from the 464471 registration from 1905 and the later mark is a 1926 re-registration, if that's possible. 
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 01:58:39 PM »
 :) Walsh Sunshine Amber is a very pale lemony colour with a soft iridesence.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 02:04:26 PM »
Nev   -   Hi  -  sorry, you've lost me a little, but to be honest, to my eyes the first image showing the word WALSH appears very similar to the book picture where the W is indeed formed of what appears to be two Vs  -  and the W is noticeably taller than the other letters  -  but whatever, you appear to have the earlier mark consisting of a single word.          Regret I'm also a tad confused when you say 'those'  -  there's a need to be very specific when speaking of more than one item  -  otherwise simple souls like me get lost, and I think we need to sort out the anomaly re the dating of the Registration for 464471  -  as to whether it's 1905 or 1926.           There's obviously an error or mis-understanding somewhere and it's tempting to speculate, but will probably only confuse us more.               The apparent fact that Reynolds information shows the Company didn't use any backstamp on their glass prior to c. 1926, suggests strongly that we've got the wrong end of the stick in thinking that 464471 dates to 1905.     Probably about all we can say presently with certainty is that Walsh used two different backstamps  -  the earlier mark shows simply a single word WALSH and the later one includes the word ENGLAND, which was used until the early 1950s.   Pound to a penny however, that there was an overlap in usage, and dare say we'll never know the exact periods of either.      Anyway, you've done v. well. :) 

Sue - sure, take your word for that - I've never seen the stuff in the flesh  :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 02:56:28 PM »
In Walsh, it's actually called Sunbeam Amber. This is a large footed bowl Lustrousstone has.
(I have a large optic ribbed bowl but no pics.)
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1131
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=1132
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2021, 05:42:40 PM »
quote from reply No. 5, re Thomas Webb   ...  " I have a set of six (all marked) of their Sunshine Amber from the Gay Glass range (as per the link)"  ............  not quite correct, unfortunately.
The Thomas Webb Gay Glass range included a uranium/yellow coloured version and was called 'Golden Amber' - not 'Sunshine Amber'   ..............   mind you, with all these Sunshine/Ambers/Sunbeams around, it's not surprising mistakes occur.      No idea as to whether Webb or Walsh were first with this u. coloured effect in tumbler  -  possibly Walsh, but that's a bit of a guess.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2021, 07:34:54 PM »
Paul, having looked with a magnifying glass at the marks on my goblets one is the same as the photo on P50. and the other is like the one on P40. so it's very confusing. Thanks Sue for the information about Sunbeam Amber.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »
To clarify the Walsh yellowy amber uranium names: if it's iridescent, it's Sunbeam. If it's not, I'm not sure what it was.  They also had a much darker uranium amber but not as dark as Stevens and Williams Cairngorm.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 02:57:30 PM »
Thanks Christine, my tumblers aren't iridescent so I assume they are just "amber".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand