No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sabino large bowl. Age, Date info appreciated!  (Read 2606 times)

Offline bonqui2002

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Sabino large bowl. Age, Date info appreciated!
« on: July 15, 2021, 06:18:41 PM »
Hello,

I have a Sabino piece which looks to be Art Deco and I would like more information about it if anyone knows anything. Manufacturing date? Did Sabino title their pieces? I have never seen a piece this large in person and I would like to know how rare this one is? The size
 is 16" Wide x 5.5" D x 3.25" H. I have attached photos of it.

Thanks!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sabino large bowl. Age, Date info appreciated!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 07:34:29 PM »
would agree with you re the appearance, though in view of the permanent popularity of 'deco style' then almost anything might genuinely be called deco provided, stylistically, it's in the deco style  - whether made in the mid 1920s or last year.   The company was active from c. 1925 to c. 1975, apparently, and marks can vary -  ........... ""Prior to World War II, Sabino glass made for sale in France was marked” Sabino Paris ”. Larger pieces had the signature etched into the base. Smaller pieces had the signature molded into the side. Sabino also used the trademarks “Veart” and “Venox” in the 1930s.""  .....   so it gets a bit confusing.       I could be very wrong, and someone may look in here who is a world renowned expert on French opalescent glass, but this is generally expensive material and possibly out of the league of most collectors here.          The mark shown on this piece appears to be 'intaglio/impressed into', which may help someone to date the bowl.    Whilst you're waiting hopefully for some info here, there is plenty to trawl through on the internet.             How was this piece sold to you i.e. description and date?     Sorry this is really unhelpful, fingers crossed someone might be able to offer information that's actually useful.              P.S.   ...........   and welcome to the GMB by the way. :)

Offline bonqui2002

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 05:22:25 PM »
Thanks, I picked this piece up at auction and had to give a good fight but I would rather not say what I paid. I love the way the ends swirl and the way you can tell just by looking at it, it is a substantially heavy weighted piece. I have looked all over the net to try and find another like it but I cannot which leads me to believe it is not as common.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 01:18:20 PM »
A nice piece: this is a jardiniere, catalogue no. 9125 ‘Spiralide’ (Shown in Philippe Decelle’s Sabino Catalogue Raisonne). What’s interesting about your example is that it has either an acid etched or glue-chipped finish on the body: something I’ve not seen before on this model. I don’t believe this shape was continued post-war — even if it was, I’d expect yours to be pre-war production given the unusual finishing (there is a lot more variety in colours and finishes on older production).

Offline bonqui2002

• Members
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 01:51:56 PM »
Oh that is great Steven, thank you! Very helpful. Any idea what something like this is worth?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 01:04:37 AM »
The board doesn't do valuations, as we are not appraisers.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
I picked this piece up at auction and had to give a good fight...
Hi, was it a sleeper? It sounds like someone else knew what it was so you probably have a reasonable idea of value. If it was properly catalogued and on the Internet you could tell us exactly what it is worth :D
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand