No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Webb cocktail glasses.  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Thomas Webb cocktail glasses.
« on: July 24, 2021, 02:16:13 PM »
As a stemmed shape they suggest a cocktail glass, but always possible intended for another type of drink.     From the charity shop this morning, and all marked 'MADE IN ENGLAND with WEBB in the centre, which according to the books was used 1935 - 49 .........   as a personal opinion I'd put them somewhere near the end of that period, but that's rather a guess.      Height is about 4.5 inches.           The interesting one is the 'salmony/pink' example (it certainly isn't anything to do with the usual amber shades we often have)  -  I've looked at the Thomas Webb colours thread, but am fairly certain we've not had this colour before  -  perhaps Keith might know more on that question, and what about the pale cranberry?    The final picture shows a couple more of T.W. glasses I found some few years back, with identical backstamp, so seems T/Webb had quite a fad for unusual colours.            As for the moulded pattern, I'm never sure whether this is Fircone or Honeycomb, but both have a long history and go back well over a hundred years.    All comments and corrections welcome and thanks for looking.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Thomas Webb cocktail glasses.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 02:31:24 PM »
Nice find , I wonder what the three other colours would have been?,a green for sure and maybe a amethyst ??if I find any of a different colour I’ll let you know

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 04:26:27 PM »
thanks, appreciate that. :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 05:05:35 PM »
Hello Paul, afraid I've never seen that 'salmony' colour before, nice find  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 06:28:39 PM »
agree, it's unusual Keith, but then I also think the lime is rather on the scarce side.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 07:37:42 PM »
Can't help really, but lovely shape and fabulous colours.  The shape is one that S&W used for their  alabaster glass range late c.1930s I think.
I would put them mid to late 1930s more to be honest i.e. pre-war period.  I think it was in fashion then.  And I think they are just referred to as cocktail glasses.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 08:08:31 PM »
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 09:07:51 PM »
yes, thank you Anne  -  they do indeed appear to be identical, and seems I'm missing uranium, amethyst and green, as bat20 suggested, and have to admit I'd love to get the full compliment of colours.                Backstamps are always an issue and don't really allow us to pin down a specific date, and probably difficult without some genuine provenance and usually we have to settle for a reasonably wide date range -  it seems my thoughts on date were likely wrong and nice to think they are probably earlier.    Will have a look through my volumes of the Studio for mid '30s to mid '40s in the coming days and will post any additional information if I find something worthwhile.    Thanks again to all for contributing. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 09:36:11 PM »
I don't think that's Fircone (definitely not Fircone) or Honeycomb.  I wonder if it's Pineapple?
and looking through the CH book I think 1935 is about right for shape and fashion really.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 08:11:52 AM »
 ;D - yes, I see what you mean about pineapple - so a possibility then, though the outline of the pattern - on the actual glasses - lacks the appearance of what seems to be more rigid straight lines of pineapple as showing in the book, but I take your point, and these glasses may well be pineapple.               Unfortunately, the drawings in Hajdamach are too small IMHO to be of real use, and when we look at the surface of these glasses the patterns really aren't easy to define - at least for me - and I think it's even more difficult on clear glass.    I remember Nigel picking me up on my incorrect id for one of these wishy-washy T.W. patterns a few years back, and seem to recall we had hours of fun arguing about arabesque, I think.             I have some grapefruit dishes of a similar ilk, in clear, and they also have this watery-looking appearance  -  will post later some time.
As for a given period, indicated by shape and fashion, you're right of course that this 'stemmed funnel' appearance is a well known hallmark of art deco (for Martini perhaps), but not sure I'd want to be quite that specific about 1935.         Original deco was an era that lasted from early 1920s to somewhere in the mid to late 1940, but as we know subsequently pops up almost anywhere in the second half C20 - I've no idea how the seller, in the link, arrived at  'Makers mark denotes 1940' - as is commonplace, sellers are often short on provenance.       So, we have options of pineapple or honeycomb - any advance on that? ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand