No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby 5004 Sweet Dish / Rd 370378? No correct RD = 355156  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Sowerby 5004 Sweet Dish / Rd 370378?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 05:51:19 PM »
I think also that with makers like Sowerby, who manufactured and Registered a vast array of shapes and patterns, they may well have considered it not-unreasonable to re-use a No. - or at least some details already Registered - if they were making a new item that was similar to a previous style.   Can't prove this but very good possibility.       Another point is that we're speaking here of a design that - in theory - was made and Registered something like one hundred and forty years back  -  such pieces should show a fair amount of wear - and if not then we might question whether this piece came from a more recent mould.

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
Re: Sowerby 5004 Sweet Dish / Rd 370378?
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 08:29:48 PM »
I'm inclined to agree Paul.  This dish pops up in various Sowerby pattern books, latest time it's shown is 1927. 

There was another dish introduced around the same time as this one (1880's), same shape but different pattern.  I don't know if the sizes are comparable though. It's always possible the plungers were repurposed. I seem to remember reading somewhere they did that with some of the carnival pieces.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand