No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vicke Viktor Lindstrand bowls Orrefors  (Read 6445 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Vicke Viktor Lindstrand bowls Orrefors
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2021, 11:56:35 AM »
Pic of skater bowl:)

They have never been used.  The bases are immaculate with a large polished pontil mark right up to the edge.
The edges of each of the bowls are cut flat and polished.
These are tiny bowls and extremely delicate, light and fragile.

The engravings are stylised and are done in such a way as to give the perfect sense of movement of the sport- much like a cartoon might. For example the skater even has a cross drawn below the feet to indicate a movement on the ice.
They're just lovely.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2021, 07:55:13 PM »
Thanks for posting your pictures M.
Very classy items, if i had seen them out and about i would have taken them home :)
Tim

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2021, 08:37:21 PM »
They are classy aren't they. That's the perfect word to describe them.  The detail and the execution is perfect in every way.

I'm attaching pictures of the little liqueur glasses that came with them.  They are a different design and I thought maybe Leerdam but on second look I'm sure they aren't and they aren't marked either. 
They are very slightly reminiscent of this vase the thick foot, the turned out rim maybe?
https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2020/4/22/b/b/a/bbae1e48-7f29-416b-aa58-fa1f59f2562d.jpg
and this design although the base on this is removable:
https://www.botterweg.com/Copier_A_D/Leerdam/tabid/234/lotid/29964/Lot-29964.aspx?language=en-US

Again they are exquisitely made, very lightweight, the ridge design is cut and polished on both angles and immaculate.  No marking on the bases.
Sorry, the base pic is a little fuzzy but it's the best I could get.  The angle is sharp between side of foot and base despite what it looks like in the photograph,  but the bases look molded or very smoothed off.    Maybe Czech perhaps?
Just a long shot to see if they 'could' be Orrefors perhaps.  Thank you for any input - it is much appreciated.

m

Offline kerstinfroberg

• Members
  • I'm foreign, please be gentle
    • Sweden
    • the Swedish museum of glass machines
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 02:29:34 PM »

What was Orrefors Sandvik?  Was this a separate place where the soda glass items were produced?

m

Sandviks glasfbruk:

Situated in Hovmantorp, was founded in 1889, went bust in 1902. By 1903 it was bought by Edw Strömberg, who (reputedly) made mostly preserving jars until he sold it to Orrefors in 1917. (Himself went on to be highest boss in Orrefors proper.)

Since then Sandvik manufactured all the sophisticated soda glass that Orrefors sold (the "cheap" too, I dare say); they did so until the closure in 2005. ”All” ordinary orrefors designers also worked for Sandvik, for their soda glass.

Thus, the village Hovmantorp had two glassworks for a considarable time: Hofmantorp from  1859-1878 and then Hofmantorps nya glasbruk, which became just Hovmantorps glasbruk in 1905-1968.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 03:06:36 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post so much detail Kerstin :)  Much appreciated and very nice to learn a little more.  I don't have many Scandinavian pieces at all - a handful, so it's not history I've delved into much.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »
I'm wondering if these might be caviar bowls?

I came across this as you do, in a similar shape and they are described as caviar bowls (Baccarat) although that might just be the seller's interpretation of what they were for:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/set-baccarat-caviar-bowls-474905862

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thank you.
m

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 07:52:24 PM »
M, have just looked at Kerstins Orrefors catalogue price list for 1926 (which may be a little to early for your glass).
The Swedish spelling for caviar is kaviar, this does not show up in the price list name of goods.
Maybe Swedish life took of and caviar became more popular in the thirties.
Tim

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2021, 08:37:47 PM »
Thanks you for checking Tim :)

It was a long shot just because I spotted the similar shape in those Baccarat bowls.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2022, 11:57:44 PM »
I'm wondering if the glasses are liqueur glasses and may have been designed by Rozendaal for Kristalunie Maastricht?

I came across a decanter set called Allround which has a similar type of foot and then discovered a liqueur set called Curro which seems to have similar shaped liqueur glasses:

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-4117108

https://www.botterweg.com/Rozendaal_W_J/Kristalunie_Maastricht/tabid/59/lotid/27696/Kavel-27696.aspx?language=nl-NL

and also the lid on this appears to be similar:
https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/26432441-w-j-rozendaal-kristalunie-maastricht-art-deco-bowl-set-glass#&gid=1&pid=10

There are various examples of the Curro design on the net and the foot seems to vary.
Anyway just adding in case it helps in future searches :)

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2022, 03:39:40 PM »
Just been flicking through a Collectables Guide and noticed a King’s Lynn vase that has the same looking disk foot as your glasses.

The vase is designed by Ronald Stennett-Wilson. It is 5 inches tall, blue (very dark where it’s thick) and looks a bit like a brandy glass with a heavy foot and stubby stem. The ratio of diameter to thickness of the foot looks to be about 5:1, similar to your glasses. Maybe of interest.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand