No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vicke Viktor Lindstrand bowls Orrefors  (Read 6440 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Vicke Viktor Lindstrand bowls Orrefors
« on: July 28, 2021, 05:26:02 PM »
I've bought a set of 4 bowls which are all signed on the base with individual design numbers.
They are, I think, part of a set of at least 8 due to the numbers on mine. 
Can anyone help with any further information on these please?  design numbers are Or  L.1084 AL and then ranging up to 1090
I believe designed by Lindstrand and then engraved by Arne Lindahl and date to 1931.  However the info I find says Arne Lindahl was working for Orrefors from 1938?
I think they might have been designed with the 1932 Olympics in mind given the engravings on them.

Many thanks for any help.
m

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: Vicke Viktor Lindstrand bowls Orrefors
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 08:48:59 PM »
M, as you know sorting out Orrefors codes are a challenge.
In the Swedish glass factories book the first time i can spot that design is in the 1935 catalogue (in time for the 1936 Olympics ?)
At the start of the numbers you posted Orrefors have Lx and then the number. (capital L and lower case x.)
There are 3 of your bowls illustrated.
Lx1086= running
Lx1088= weightlifting
Lx1091= football

In that range of numbers there are photos of what may be cylindrical cigarette holders?
These have sporting themes as well.
Lx
Hopefully that has been of some use.
Tim

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 09:24:54 PM »
An absolutely massive help Tim.  Thank you.

Are there any tiny cylindrical glasses without the engraved figures on? or are they all with the engraved figures.

It's a little confusing yes , but mine have no small x on them just signed ' of L.1088. AL (Al.?)'  .  I'm saying AL however... the L does not look like the Lindstrand L and on the others it actually looks like ' Al. '  Also they don't look as though the signature has been engraved by the same hand.

So I need to investigate other engravers other than Arne Lindahl. Possibly an Al (or AI but the I is just engraved as a straight line).

I think that answer my query over Arne Lindahl working there from 1938 so too late to have engraved the bowls I thought.  But perhaps it might be that the 'signing person' signed 'Al.' with that straight line as an L?
I think the engraver initials are ' Al. ' .  If indeed that refers to the engraver because

looking through this list there is no engraver with those initials although it could be an L I suppose for Lindahl but that would be too late for 1932 and 1936 Olympics  :-\
https://web.archive.org/web/20200112233107/http://glassfromsweden.com/orrefors-engraved-glass-engravers-list.html

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 09:40:31 PM »
oh ok,I've just found the info about the dating,  it could be that is not engraver initials but is in fact 'A1.' written 'Al.'  and that refers to the date of 1935 which matches your date for them appearing in the catalogue.  Thank you Tim.
His work, ( along with Hald and Gate also) was part of the art competition in the 1932 and 1936 Olympics so that might make sense of the reason/theme for designing some soda glass bowls (a production design I mean, not that they were part of the art competition).

What was Orrefors Sandvik?  Was this a separate place where the soda glass items were produced?

https://web.archive.org/web/20200112233832/http://glassfromsweden.com/how-to-date-orrefors.html

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 09:50:05 PM »
I have what looks like a figure skater.  Or L. 1085. A1 so they must have been for Winter Olympics as well.

I've checked through Fieldings and they have the shape of the bowl but with no engraving id'd as Simon Gate so I wonder if the bowl shape and black foot design dates earlier to the 1931 date I found in Miller's guide maybe but the ones with the engraved figures date to 1935 and were a Lindstrand design?
m

Offline essi

• Members
    • england
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 07:18:05 PM »
In the 1932 catalogue your bowl in the unengraved version has an I/D, GU84 -H852.
In the 1933 catalogue your bowl with a figure skater engraved has an I/D H852.
What i thought were cigarette holders are glasses from a decanter set (unengraved) ID/ LUx 137/3.
As far as i know no Sandvik glass was signed.
I think Sandvik glass is very under rated. It was designed by the top Swedish designers of the day. (I have 4 items so far).
Good luck trying to pinpoint the engraver.
Tim 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 07:28:36 PM »
Thank you Tim.

I'm not worried about the engraver now. I think the A1 is A1 which would date them to 1935 i.e. designed for the upcoming Olympics.
I think the bowl design maybe Hald then if those numbers are H for Hald? and my engraved version of the bowl is the 'development' of a previous design but this time by Lindstrand  i.e. his design idea to add  the Olympic designs on them? 

I've read conflicting reports of whether Lindstrand engraved or not.

I've bought a little set of the glasses but I'm undecided as to whether they actually might be a Leerdam design rather than an Orrefors one.  They are unengraved but have a cut ridged design around them. The shape and foot is very close to a Leerdam item though.  Also 1930s.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 07:33:55 PM »
and thank you so much for your help btw.  I really appreciate it :)

Offline essi

• Members
    • england
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 07:37:49 PM »
That is how i was reading the sequence of events.
Any chance of a few photos?
I bet they are nice looking items.
Tim

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 07:50:37 PM »
Ok, I'll post them in the next couple of days.  Things are a bit non glass focused here at the moment, but in between searching for other things I just saw these and thought they were interesting. It's been a while since I've seen something a bit different.
 Been concentrating on decorating and so obviously 'needed' to have a Malachite and bronze box (not glass but stone malachite) because it's the 'right' green.  And then saw these little bowls.  They wont go anywhere but they just caught my eye and I didn't remember seeing anything like them before.  I may give my son the glasses as shot glasses though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand