No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Imperial marigold carnival 'Windmill' bowl.  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Imperial marigold carnival 'Windmill' bowl.
« on: July 29, 2021, 05:54:35 PM »
Not sure where such a piece should be posted.       Normally, wouldn't dare venture into the Carnival area - particularly marigold - but was so taken with the depth/height of the relief moulding, it came home with me.       Difficult to date these things  -  David Doty's site suggests that 'Windmill' started life back c. 1915 - but this piece obviously much younger, though the whole process of dating these Imperial carnival items, accurately, is nigh on impossible since the moulds have apparently be re-used a number of times.     Having said that, would anyone care to take a punt as to approximate age?     thanks for looking.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Imperial marigold carnival 'Windmill' bowl.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 03:53:42 AM »
Imperial is an American maker, so it should be there really Paul (I'll move it over for you.) Glen is the person you need for these really, hopefully she will spot it sometime soon, or you could email her and ask about timeframe, I'm sure she wouldn't mind.  It's a corker of a bowl for sure.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 07:39:25 AM »
my apologies Anne  -  I'd forgotten the Board does have a section specifically for the States, so thanks for moving.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 06:08:19 PM »
https://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/windmill-and-double-dutch.html

This excellent site has some information. I assume this is the Glen Anne mentioned.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 06:40:09 PM »
Hi - thanks v. much for the link and illustrations, and yes, this is the Glen Thistlewood Anne mentioned.    David Doty's site is also of much interest to those who collect this material, and there is an overlap in information with the two sites.   Like most of us who go around peering at glass for years, I've seen some of the more common patterns, but usually stay away from buying as it's a bit specialized and of course the States have to some extent overdone the re-use of many of the moulds.     I'd not seen Windmill before, or at least couldn't remember if I had, plus as I say I was very impressed with the massiveness of the relief moulding.      This example looks to be devoid of any backstamp or markings whatsoever, so no help there.     Who currently owns or has possession of this mould I've no idea, but it's possible it's still be used, or even new moulds made  -  on this one the high relief of the windmill and surrounding bushes etc. is without any marigold  -  whether it's been worn away or for some reason escaped the salts we may not know.              This marigold colourway is seen most commonly in charity shops - lots at times - so must assume it has been made in quantity in recent years.              thanks again.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 11:15:19 PM »
Dating is explained here:

https://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/windmill-and-double-dutch.html

Is yours contemporary as they refer to on the site, i.e. marked IG?

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 06:54:24 AM »
As I mentioned m, my bowl appears to be without any markings. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 07:13:32 AM »
If not marked then based on that info  I would have thought pre 1920?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 06:19:35 PM »
If true that would cheer me up indeed m - but I don't think I have that sort of luck.     The interior - and base too - lack the sort of wear we'd expect from something that's 100 years old or more.        The re-use of antique patterns/moulds and lack of marks makes it nigh on impossible to be certain as to dating.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2021, 06:46:10 PM »
It says it would be marked if it were contemporary I thought?
Oh and I have an old Punch Bowl stand called Peacock and something and it looks as though it's never been used ever ;0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand