No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Corbett Tutbury grapefruit  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Webb Corbett Tutbury grapefruit
« on: August 04, 2021, 03:56:17 PM »
I know we've had this mark before, but as this week's theme appears to be the grapefruit then here's another - this time from Webb Corbett.      The books suggest an u/c S or T was used within this crescent shaped mark between 1947 and 1949  -  T for Tutbury and S for Stourbridge - but the wear on this dish is non-existent, so really difficult to imagine that sort of age  -  must be an awful lot of Grannies hoarding grapefruit dishes.              Rather boring cutting, and stands c. 3.75 inches tall  -  never been to Tutbury  -  is it near Stourbridge?                Perhaps we should have a separate thread for grapefruit dishes.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Webb Corbett Tutbury grapefruit
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 10:28:10 PM »
They are odd, however if you've ever tried eating a grapefruit from a soup bowl it makes you hanker after a proper grapefruit dish :)

Thanks for sharing the mark - always good to see examples of the marks especially for Webb Corbett of which I can find very little information on details of their designs and decors.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 08:20:46 AM »
I know from comments here over the years that some folk extol the virtues of using a period piece of glass to either drink or eat from, and yes, several times a week I eat my half grapefruit from a standard ceramic cornflakes bowl, which probably suggests I'm a philistine, especially as I balance the bowl on my thighs watching the tv and the fruit tends to roll around a lot within the bowl.       Even using a dedicated grapefruit knife the segments are never entirely cut through, and some difficulty then results trying to watch the tv, balance the bowl and manipulate spoon to break the remaining segments from the peel - perhaps the answer is to buy tinned grapefruit.     One of my wedding gifts many moons back was an almost complete set of Dartington drinking glasses, and over the years by means of washing up etc. their number dwindled and all that now remains are two liqueur glasses - so I try not to use glass if it has rarity,  sentimental, or monetary value.         I'd imagine that dedicated bowls like this one would stop the fruit from rolling about.

I do remember we've had both the T and S marks on the Board some years back, and they are of perhaps of more interest for collectors who may not yet have seen these particular back stamps.
Of further particular interest re Webb Corbett's back stamps, and quoting from 'British Glass Between the Wars', edited by Roger Dodsworth, he writes ....................  "Between 1947 and 1949 a letter S or T were put in the centre of the mark denoting Stourbridge or Tutbury, between 1949 and 1952 a star for both factories, and between 1952 and 1959 the actual year of manufacture".
I notice that I've penciled round the date 1959 and scribbled in  'No - at least 1964'  -  obviously I'd found something at odds with Dodsworth's suggestion.             As always, these book dates indicating first and last years for a given mark have to be read with caution.

I found another of these bowls yesterday  -  marked with a Stuart back stamp - but none of them compares with my Walsh blue Pompeian grapefruit bowl from c. 1940. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 09:08:14 AM »
Paul I have to disagree - I think it's vitally important to use items.  They were made to be used and loved and enjoyed :)  not left in a cupboard for show.  Why don't you use your Walsh grapefruit?

I know what you mean about glasses though.  As a household we're hopeless with them.  I found a set of wine glasses in the Conran Shop many decades ago that we loved.  We eventually went through 5 box sets of 6 because everyone wanted to use them all the time and given the huge price I just gave up in the end and refused to replace. 

Now we have two lovely fine Riedel white wines  and one huge Riedel red for OH as there is never more than one or two who want wine, but we mostly drink from Ultima Thule Red Wine glasses which seem to be the perfect design for a good bottle of Pouilly Fume or a gin and tonic or indeed water at any time:
https://royaldesign.co.uk/ultima-thule-red-wine-glass-23-cl-2-pcs?gclid=Cj0KCQjwu7OIBhCsARIsALxCUaM4zBVqlmFRkdkkyMwHkrTEuGaBpnLDpR8KMkbMaxB2MJY9eugr2ScaAp6zEALw_wcB

They're weighty to lift and that seems to suit most drinks, crystal with a fine rim, but get shoved in the dishwasher daily and seem to survive any accidental knocks.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 01:29:36 PM »
well, I'm saddened to hear that you feel compelled to disagree with me - I thought you at least might have been on my side  -  but it's a free country and I'll allow you that luxury ;D ;)          Listen  -  I still have my Walsh grapefruit for the very reason that it does sit unused in a cupboard - had it seen action then doubtless it would long since have gone to that great glass graveyard in the sky.     I was born old fashioned - I love old things - the smell and look of deco - the sight of teddy bears and tin-plate toys from the era of my childhood  -  all this is to be cherished and not stuffed in a dishwasher to be scuffed, scratched and dulled.  ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 01:57:24 PM »
I think the Ultima Thule range are made for a dishwasher - so far no damage on any of them.
That's exactly why they are brilliant - also sturdy but feel as though you're drinking from a nice glass.

Yes I know what you mean, but we still use all our 'useful' stuff  (Victorian glass salad bowls, Chance glass patterned plates etc) except my decorative glass bowls and vases.  That's never used for flowers but is out on display and in fact about 40 items have just been on loan for a photo shoot for a friend.  I was keeping everything crossed it all survived intact!  They insured it but most of it would be irreplaceable really.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand