No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Candlestick with lustres and lemon squeezer base  (Read 683 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Candlestick with lustres and lemon squeezer base
« on: August 07, 2021, 11:23:35 AM »
Hi ,I know very little about this type of glass , but if it was a rummer I’d date it about 1800 ? .It has loads of wear on the base , which also has a few chips.The drops..?,are all a bit different from each other and I’m not sure about how it was made,the base certainly moulded .Any thoughts , thanks .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Candlestick with lustres and lemon squeezer base
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 11:25:07 AM »
And the other bit I think is moulded

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 01:47:17 PM »
There are two very similar [ same form ] examples in the Corning Museum. You can look them up on their website using the "explore the collections" search function. Type in the ascension numbers as follows 50.2.85 A.B and 51.2.221 A.B    Although the upper section are cut same type pressed foot, etc. For an American example ascension number 50.4.240

The urn shaped middle section I would call gadrooned. A very interesting example, I would not hesitate to add to my collection.The date of about 1800 seems to be a good guess as the corning examples date anywhere from last quarter of 18th to first quarter of 19th century.

The bobeche and prisms may be a later addition.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 07:06:56 AM »
Thank you so much Cagney,I really appreciate you sharing you knowledge on this one.I’ve got to say it does look happier without the prisms!,I’m going to spend this wet august morning following your leads, thanks again .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand