No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harbridge cut bowl  (Read 959 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Harbridge cut bowl
« on: August 28, 2021, 11:06:16 AM »
something from this mornings boot sale for one pound so as you can imagine, couldn't leave behind.      We've had a fair amount of previous chats on this lesser known manufacturer, but I've chosen just this one link which gives some useful information.               https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,53611.msg304166.html#msg304166

The bowl here is about 9 inches (c. 23 cms.) maximum diameter. and remains in v.g. condition with little wear  -  granny's cabinet again perhaps.         The upper band of relief diamonds is uninspiring, but the horizontal mitres encircling the lower area are what lifts this one from being ordinary  -  it has a ring to die for, and even if I only mix Polyfilla in it, that must surely make it worth a quid.

After c. 1957 then, we assume Harbridge ceased as a company and name  -  both manufacturing and decorating - and became part of Webb & Corbett ..............   so it's likely from this information this bowl was made probably prior to that date.        Taking a bit of a personal punt as to age, I would have thought this one was c. 1950, but that is only a guess, and would be keen to hear ideas from other members of this magazine as to their opinions please.           Comparing backstamps, this bowl has the factory name in quote marks, whereas another I have doesn't and is a larger type face ..........   again only a guess, but the smaller type face may well refer to pieces of a lesser age.                         Thanks for looking.

Ref. 'ART DECO TO POST MODERNISM - A Legacy of British Art Deco Glass'  - an exhibition September 2003 - Curated by Nigel Benson and Jeanette Hayhurst.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Harbridge cut bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 04:03:26 PM »
My vase also has "Harbridge" in quote marks Paul, along with a full stop after England. See http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36890.msg395394.html#msg395394. Your bowl is super, and definitely a bargain at £1!

Great Glass has two earlier marks without the quote marks, here http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/markd-h.htm (both 1930s they claim).
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 04:54:13 PM »
thanks Anne  -  certainly going on condition and perceived age, then agree that our backstamps, with quote marks, are examples of what was probably the factory's final backstamp.      As the aforementioned booklet says "little is known about Harbridge's production"  -  so I think we're rather in the dark as to how long these different marks were used.      The Great Glass comments re 1930s may well be correct, but it might also be the case that their mark was used for a lot longer than just the one decade.              I think some of us are still waiting for a book dedicated to cut glass ;D

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 06:34:32 PM »
Harbridge Crystal is listed in my Pottery Gazette directories up until 1961, I don't have the 1962 directory, but Harbridge Crystal isn't listed in 1963.

It has the same details as their listings from their 1950's directory listing, i.e. Platts Works, Stourbridge. Director S.T. Harvey & Works Manager A.C. Bridgens (1961 they were listed as a director)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 08:58:37 PM »
thanks Lindsey  -  the booklet I mentioned indicates the firm existed until 1966, but also says production ceased 1955 when they moved in with Webb & Corbett to continue decorating (cutting we assume), and two years later they were absorbed by W. & C.             I doubt that we will know for sure, but it would have been of interest - and would help with dating their pieces - if we knew the time periods as to when the different backstamps were used.         I've no idea as to the accuracy of some information  -  but would imagine reliable in the main.

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 02:32:10 PM »
January 1966 Pottery Gazette has in the introduction, whilst looking over the previous year...
First, in the field of mergers. [...] Later, the scene turned to glass, and we heard that Harbridge were now to come under Webb Corbett, Ltd., but would continue trading as a separate identity.

February 1966 edition has an entry for the Harbridge Crystal Glass and Trading Co. Ltd., appearing at the International Gifts Fair.
Stemmed suite of glasses in three sizes, designed by the Marquis of Queensbury and recommended by the Wine and Food Society (see picture).  This company, showing for the first time at Blackpool, also offers a wide selection of English and imported lead Crystal and glass fancies and tableware, rich Limoges porcelain and colourful French earthenware.

Attached advert is from the April 1966 edition, showing the stemware mentioned above.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 02:57:22 PM »
thanks Lindsey  -  very interesting and shows a greater preciseness as to dates which will help   -  but disappointing to see the word 'Imported'  -  is nothing sacred.      Probably from eastern Europe I'd imagine.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand