No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anchor Hocking ruby vases for show.  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Anchor Hocking ruby vases for show.
« on: September 06, 2021, 02:29:22 PM »
Ruby must be the current 'in' colour  -  I don't see much from this C20 factory, and unless you're heavily into domestic table/utility wares then their output is probably not fashionable to collect - at least this side of the pond (they either still are or were based in Ohio, U.S.A.).        Very well known for some household names in heat resistant kitchen glass.     I've seen the odd piece over the years, but these are the first for some time.

You wouldn't believe these are eighteen inches tall  -  neither would I  -  in fact they stand at 6 inches (about 15 cms.)  -  just that the picture makes them appear rather taller than that.     Can only assume they are a pair of small posy type vases unless someone has a more knowledgeable answer.          The back stamp is unmistakable.
Anyway, the point of posting is really that being outside my comfort zone I've not the least idea as to age - perhaps someone might be able to suggest a decade, at least  -  they don't have a modern look, more an appearance of mid C20 or even a tad earlier.                       thanks for looking.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Anchor Hocking ruby vases for show.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 08:34:17 PM »
My mother had some of these when I was a lass, Paul. There is a website dedicated to AH here that you might find of interest - https://www.anchorhockingmuseum.com/
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Anchor Hocking ruby vases for show.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 07:56:00 AM »
many thanks for the link Anne  -  I think interest is putting it mildly  -  this guy is truly something else.

As for this pair, they appear to be Royal Ruby bud vases with fluted/crimped rims made some time in the 1950s  -  Royal Ruby looks to have been first made in 1938.        There are a few for sale on ebay  -  amongst quite a lot of other shapes in the colourway  -   so it seems not an uncommon design.   thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand