Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > France

Cristalleries de Saint-Louis bowl 1908

<< < (2/8) > >>

Paul S.:
you can be honest, we really won't get upset ;D        I'm thinking of the process needed to create your half moon surface decoration  -    can we discount a machine acid etching? - yes?, ..... so, alternatively, we cover the outside with a resist and what  -  then some guy spends hours with a steel stylus making all of these random half moons?       I don't think I'm buying that.    Might the method have been a mould pressing?

I know nothing of Continental bowls from the factories you mention  -  shame the rim isn't Sterling.

flying free:
The rim has lasted 110 plus years and in very good condition so they must have been/be doing something right  ;)  I don't think it's ever been used.  I'm not a fan of gold either but silver would look cheap I think  :-X
  It's incredibly classy, I would say obviously given it's from Saint-Louis however they and Baccarat made a lot of stuff I don't actually like.  It rings like a bell and goes on forever.  Nice piece. £14.

I have no idea about the process.  It  has been discussed before but it seems to have been something that has never been done again I don't think.  So however it was being made and whoever was doing it stopped doing it and the method died out with them I presume. It seems to be peculiar to Saint Louis and Baccarat and possibly Val St Lambert. Although I know we discussed whether my lampshade might have been Riedel as well.

It's a bit like the cloudy fluffy coloured glass made by Daum and Muller Freres etc. 
Example here:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=49289.0;attach=111325;image
I've never  seen the technique used by anyone other than French makers n the 20s and 30s or since.  I've no idea how they did it but it's beautiful.

Paul S.:
the Richardson vermicular or Vermicelli surface decoration (acid) came to mind, but that was pure surface and lacked any depth at all - I really am tempted to think this one could be a pressing of some sort.               Gilded chrome not really my thing  -  if I can't see the lion passant it goes back to the shop ;) ;)

flying free:
No it's completely different to the Richardson's vermicular.  Completely different look, and feel and texture and technique.  And more to the point they did this technique with a plain cameo coloured layer over the top as well.  So the technique only appears in the areas without the second plain cameo layer design.  It's quite something - look at this lampshade as an example:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=55375.0;attach=146312;image

It's not gilded chrome  ;D  It's gold leaf applied on the glass edge.

Paul S.:
I knew I shouldn't have got involved in foreign glass ;)         Who has said it's gold leaf  -  the factory, or does it have rolled gold or gold filled marks?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version