No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cristalleries de Saint-Louis bowl 1908  (Read 9025 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Cristalleries de Saint-Louis bowl 1908
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2021, 11:55:48 PM »
Cagney I posted a long list of links on this thread here just for cross referencing.  I researched that lampshade on that thread in minute detail for quite a while.  I think that's when I realised the Saint-Louis half moons seemed to be peculiar to them.  Love your yellow pieces.  They're a stunning colour.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,55375.msg313877.html#msg313877

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2021, 01:53:57 AM »
Those links remind me a lot of the process I went through trying to get a line on my tumblers. That Clichy did some version in the 1870s seems quite viable. Glassworks where very keen  on what other companies were doing and what was selling. A very competitive business to be in at the time, especially given the the importation of glass from other countries.

Interestingly, Frederick Carder also developed a different process while at Stevens & Williams c.1890s Where the background on a cameo object would be "pecked" using a steel stylus powered by a sewing machine mechanism. Only a few pieces made due to breakage.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2021, 09:30:59 PM »
I like the sound of that Carder pecked background.  As though it might looked chipped.  I must look that up and thank you :)

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2022, 10:01:20 AM »
There is a very good description of the plate etching acid etch process from a Cambridge Glass Company brochure here: http://cambridgeglass.org/articles/etchingarticle.php

Cambridge Glass pattern E725 looks like it has a similar half moon device, used to fill the pattern, in pattern E725. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,71939.0.html
(Not saying it’s related to the bowl except in the use of plate etching to create a similar design element)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2022, 10:37:15 AM »
Apologies for the tardy response to this Ekimp.  That information is fascinating.  So they were using an incredibly detailed and time consuming process to create these pieces.
I remember on another earlier thread from years ago speculating on how these acid etched pieces might have been made.  I presume the French method was done in a very similar way to that which you've posted from Cambridge.
(Just spent the weekend in Paris with many hours in the Musee des Arts Decoratifs, closely peering at their fabulous collection of glass :) )

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2022, 12:10:36 PM »
No problem :) I suppose the time consuming bit was making the metal plates, once that was done it would’ve been relatively quick to reproduce the patterns as often as wanted (compared to cutting or etching by hand) and I expect the plates lasted well before wearing out.

Lucky you, hope you took lots of photos for reference ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2022, 12:24:50 PM »
I took a few but not enough!  It was enough to just see the glass for real though.  Some of the items were really surprising compared to what I thought they looked like from online photographs.
I have to say it was stunning to round the corner into the room and suddenly see it all displayed together when I wasn't expecting it.
Really amazing collection of early 1800s opaline. (They didn't have one in the bleu lavande colour of my piece though ;) ) All the other colours were there.

Huge collection of fabulous late 1800s and Art Nouveau glass from a wide variety of makers as well.

It was a weekend crammed with culture and art - my best weekend ever for indulging in textiles, design and glass all at once.  Feet hurt now as we walked everywhere.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2022, 03:35:14 PM »
I’ll have to dust off the passport :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum