No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: amber triangular deco design vase on three legs - ID = Sowerby  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
amber triangular deco design vase on three legs - ID = Sowerby
« on: September 09, 2021, 02:56:43 PM »
very deco  -  the sort of thing I might have seen in the past, somewhere, but no idea now.           I've looked on Pamela's pressglas-pavillon.de without luck, so if anyone does recognize this do shout please, and thanks for looking.           there is some wear on the feet so perhaps not that recent  -  height is about 7.75 inches (c. 19.5 cms.)           Perhaps I might flog it as a 'prop' for the next series of Poirot.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: amber triangular deco design vase on three legs.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 03:19:14 PM »
Hi Paul, fairly sure this is Sowerby 1933 ish, uranium green ones have an excellent glow..
Regards Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 04:16:25 PM »
thanks for the v. quick reply Mike - rather embarrassingly I do have the Sowerby set of CD's, so I may have found it eventually, but appreciate this as saves me looking.    How about I swap this one for a u. example  ;D ;) .          Do you mean as in the year, or is that a pattern No. Mike ?

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 05:05:51 PM »
Sorry Paul, no idea of the pattern number and I only took a rough stab at the year. Wish I hi and a green one too but these are common on eBay.
Cheers Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 06:54:01 PM »
currently there are a few on ebay - labelled as Sowerby - and some appear to have picked up the name of 'daisy pattern', though the moulded design doesn't look very daisy ish - none of those for sale offers a pattern No. unfortunately.                   However, I've just been through all three CDs for Sowerby, particularly for the 1930s and unable to see this design.          There is something called a Sunray vase - Reg. 790213 from February 1934, but it's not this one, although maybe someone has confused the two.         I may well have missed seeing it somewhere, so if you do spot it in the Sowerby designs you might give me a shout please Mike.     thanks.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 07:20:59 PM »
The purple vase on Ebay is said to have the RD No. 799041 registered 31/12/1934.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 07:33:11 PM »
thanks for that Nev.            Rd. 799041 is certainly a Sowerby Registration and the date agrees with December 1934, though unfortunately I don't have that image from Kew so unable to confirm the design is indeed this vase.      Might try and check tomorrow.

Have now seen that ebay item, and it does appear the Rd. No. is moulded into the glass, so seems unquestionable  -  wonder why mine and perhaps some of the others appear not to do so?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 12:04:59 AM »
We have an example of this in the RD album from Fred here https://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-17753
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: amber triangular deco design vase on three legs - ID = Sowerby
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 08:46:50 AM »
I have quite a lot of Sowerby glass and having checked only my pair of Sunray candlesticks has an RD No.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: amber triangular deco design vase on three legs - ID = Sowerby
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 02:42:37 PM »
I suppose we have to be thankful that there are pieces in this design that do in fact carry the Reg. No., otherwise we might be uncertain as to what 799041 looked like.      I didn't bother to look at the Register, and feel that the Representation details are adequate in the circumstances since the Rd. No. can be tied to the Blue Book details.                     I suppose it's always possible that the reason for the apparent absence of this image in the Thistlewood CD catalogues is due to this one being entered as CLASS IV (researches mostly concern themselves with CLASS III and as a consequence wouldn't pick up CLASS IV items)  -  though since I didn't view the Register I'll never know which CLASS it's classified under.          Must admit the u. example does look good, though I'm still not seeing daisies ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand