No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pink cut glass scent bottle  (Read 736 times)

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
pink cut glass scent bottle
« on: September 09, 2021, 05:04:34 PM »
any help with this scent bottle please. Is it bohemian? It is 3.5 inches tall without the stopper, 3 inches wide and 1.5 inches deep. The stopper is 5 inches long out of the bottle.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mick

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: pink cut glass scent bottle
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 06:18:33 PM »
Czech seems very likely but is it actually cut or is it blown?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 11:25:22 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I think that the bottle is as you say blown, however the stopper feels as if it is cut? Is this likely ?

Regards Mick

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 06:31:23 PM »
Possibly but your pictures are too small to tell

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 09:20:47 AM »
Hi have attached another image. Hope it is about larger.

Mick

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 09:49:07 AM »
could be wrong, but I think the flats are very flat and the arises look sharp, so it's possible the entire thing is cut.        As Christine has commented, your pix are too small to see detail  -  you can go up to 700 for the first dimension, but no idea which method you using to take these photos and that might affect the image size  -  camera or compact?

It should be possible to determine whether moulded or cut by using a lens/loupe to look closely at the flat areas  -   if the latter then no matter how well the piece is finished/polished, there will likely still be the very fine remains of the lines created by the stone  -  they will almost certainly all lay parallel  -  but you will need a lens to see them.         This is a good looking piece - nice find, I'm green.
during the inter war years, a lot of scents came out of Czechoslovakia - some very innovative and attractive pieces, and there is a book which helps with items from that period and source, but can't now recall the title.         Likewise a lot of trinket sets/dressing table accoutrements are known from that part of eastern Europe.

Offline Mick the fish

• Members
    • Mdina & Murano glass
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 03:06:46 PM »
Hi Paul thanks for your very interesting comments and suggestions. I have carefully examined the bottle   and the stopper with a loupe and they both show signs of being cut as you described. I am now pretty sure that the bottle and the stopper are cut. I do appreciate that my photos are not clear enough to show the fine cutting marks. I have attached a few more and hope that these are a bit better? I am taking the photos with my iPhone 8 which probably is not good enough?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 03:53:15 PM »
your scent sounds to be a quality piece - those with these elongated stopper finials are very attractive  -  the majority of the lesser lights have fairly short decorative finials beyond the stub  -  does the body retain any odor of the perfume - occasionally they do.
I doubt that any ordinary pix would be of sufficient resolution that we could see the grinding marks, but as long as they can be seen with the loupe that's fine.             Regret I'm a dinosaur when it comes to mobiles - I do have one but like its owner, it's not smart, and I rarely turn it on.
Pre-owned compacts from the on-line auction sites aren't expensive  -  probably a lot less than a smart phone  -  but real cameras are probably the only way you might get decent snaps, and remember you can place a loupe between subject and the camera which will increase the magnification.

thanks for the additional pix  -  don't think I can see any lines, but it was worth trying.        Getting the angle of light just in the right place is important too  -  amazing how reflecting the maximum light from a flat surface can show even small detail.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand