No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need help identifying, finding, this glass  (Read 706 times)

Offline TheFiend1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • none
    • none
Need help identifying, finding, this glass
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:21:55 AM »
Hello,

I came across a post from a bartender with this glass. He said he picked it up 2nd hand in Singapore. I have tried searching online everywhere for it and cant seem to find it. Hard to tell if this is an antique sweetmeat glass or a candle holder of some kind. Either way, I was wondering if you could help me identify it?

Thank you!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Need help identifying, finding, this glass
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 11:08:44 AM »
Hi - welcome to the GMB.         Sorry not a clue as to the maker or origin of this piece, and though I could be wrong can't imagine for a moment that this is a genuine antique sweetmeat glass.   The wider diameter at the top of the bowl is more or less copying the shape of middle C18 sweetmeats, and is a design often referred to as 'pan-topped'  -  you might try using this word as part of a search description, though whether it will help is anyone's guess  -  you may just end up with a lot of C18 sweetmeats.                     I think you're correct as to the mention of this shape having something in common with a candle holder  -  some mid to late C20 designs for candle holders do have this foot/stem/wide bowl appearance, and often with a much longer stem.

The GMB doesn't per se have a reference archive of modern/current glass designs/shapes, and unless someone recognizes this one, then we're probably no wiser than you  -  other than which the folk here will offer the suggestion of some commercial sites but which you may have already viewed.       The only sales site that comes to mind off hand is the Replacements.com who do sell crystal - don't know if you've tried them yet.              I wonder if someone like Dartington ever made this shape  -  perhaps someone here might know.

Sorry to be negative  -  of course you could always invest in mid C18 Georgian pan-topped sweetmeat glasses ;)           Others here may possibly have the answer you need - fingers crossed.   

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TheFiend1

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • none
    • none
Re: Need help identifying, finding, this glass
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 05:11:08 AM »
Hi Paul! Thank you very much for the info. I didnt check that website before you suggested it. Ive checked with an antique dealer and he said its definitely more modern and not really an antique. So atleast we have that out of the way. Ive looked across the web and have yet to find a glass with a knop that has that ribbed pattern. Ive found glasses that come really close to it but they are all candle holders and none have that single knop pattern.

I will check with replacements.com to see if they have a pattern match.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand