No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wedgwood wine glass  (Read 892 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Wedgwood wine glass
« on: September 20, 2021, 09:30:29 AM »
last week's pickings were a tad lean, but this one rather jumped out at me and for £0.50 had to come home.            Unmarked (without the sandblasted Portland Vase), but I can't imagine this is anything else  -  7.5 inches (about 19 cms.) tall.         I bought two of these at an antiques fair some years back - put them in the rucksack - went for a coffee, and as I sat down there was an audible snap  -  the stems are too fragile to make these usable.        I can't see any at a quick glance on the screen so perhaps they're getting a bit scarce.       Of course if anyone thinks I really am wrong with the attribution do shout.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Wedgwood wine glass
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 06:45:18 AM »
Colour looks right, is the stem hollow or solid Paul? The Brancaster candlesticks have a blown hollow stem, sometimes they seem impossibly thin.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 08:06:45 AM »
I think this one is definitely a solid stem John - when flicked the bowl gives a quality lead glass ring .........   I binned the broken ones of course, so nothing to judge this one by - maybe the absence of the back stamp suggests it's a seconds?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »
Not sure the lack of stamp would indicate a second or not. I often see Sheringham candlesticks with no mark and no obvious reason to be a second. Given the number of variations Wedgewood used on glass in not that many years I would keep an open mind.

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 11:05:17 AM »
These would sit very well next to the Sandringham 'sticks:
http://www.ronaldstennettwillson.com/Candlesticks_Sandringham.html

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »
thanks for the link  -  I thought that one had ceased some time back.       I did have Susan what's it's book and quite a lot of Wedgwood glass, including the Sandringham sticks you mention though not now  -  I think much of the Stennett-Willson designs were quality pieces, and perhaps disappointing his work didn't achieve greater popularity.              So, we might call such designs 'straw stems' or drawn stems ;D , but very fragile, and I'm still looking for one of the nine ring candle holders  -  you might give me a nod if you see one ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand