No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: M&J Guggenheim basin RD 494747  (Read 926 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
M&J Guggenheim basin RD 494747
« on: September 23, 2021, 12:10:28 PM »
This one came my way through an eBay accident - I thought I would show it here.

The registration dates to 24th January 1907. Looking at other notes on this company, they appear to have been a glass importer rather than manufacturer.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: M&J Guggenheim basin RD 494747
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 01:26:19 PM »
I like it - the pressed pattern is attractive  -  assume you mean sugar basin and presumably the No. appears on the glass.            Guggenheim appear similar to Jules Lang (based in U.K.), who were also importers from the Continent, though believe they did make a few bottles, in the U.K. possibly.            Presumably Guggenheim must have applied for the BoT Rd. No., then sent details to the factory, but guess we shall never know the name of the maker.

Lang appear to have been prolific with U.K. BoT Registrations around this time  -  I have pix of several of their designs which I intend to post on the Board, and which again we assume were imported from outside the U.K.      Just had a quick look in the Blue Book, but seems 494747 may have been a one off.

Impressed with quality of the photo - looks very good  -  clear glass not easy to do justice to.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 02:15:16 PM »
Thanks Paul, this is the type of photo I'm doing for my book on Manchester glass, which is trundling along, several years to go. On this piece the RD number is indeed impressed on to the inside of the basin. The glass is not lead, similar quality to northeast flint.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 04:41:01 PM »
Fred has added several examples of this RD no to the GlassGallery RD album - https://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/displayimage.php?pos=-16234.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 05:43:46 PM »
thank you Anne  -  as usual, Fred was being thorough in his research and in posting details - my comments wide of the mark.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand