No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Uranium Glass Butter Dish?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Blue Uranium Glass Butter Dish?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 08:30:33 PM »
I could be wrong Michael, but I think your glow stands a good chance of being from a manganese content  -  it doesn't look bright enough to be from uranium.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 04:31:51 AM »
Sorry, l wasn't clear - these post war blue pieces certainly do not contain Uranium...

Michael :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 12:39:36 PM »
thanks Michael  -  I'd assumed, obviously wrongly, that you were suggesting your blue Sklo Union vase contained uranium - a misunderstanding all round. :)            I think your vase gives support to Christine's comment that manganese was often added to coloured glass - and though I'm unsure, technically, as to why this was the case, can think only that all glass - whether clear or coloured - benefited from the addition of manganese as a de-colourant.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 01:10:43 PM »
It would be interesting to actually know at what percentage Manganese ceases to be a de-colourant and becomes a colourant. I suggested over 1% but don't know for sure.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 08:56:30 PM »
I cannot really comment on whether the piece in question is Uranium glass or not, but I noticed that the blue Sklo Union pressed glass items show a strong yellow-green glow under UV (see pic).

Michael

My blue Sklo Union ashtray does too.  It gives off a very green fuzzy glow.  So does some of my antique Bohemian glass.  I think it's something in the make up of their glass from the area to be honest.  If I'm in doubt about an old piece and it glows that colour my first thoughts are Bohemian.  If it's pale orange/salmon I think Saint Louis or Russian.  And if it's a yellow I generally think French old at first.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 08:06:49 AM »
so are you suggesting m that these orange/salmon/yellow reactions are likely to indicate a selenium content  -  I always had yellows down as being likely selenium. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2021, 09:59:42 AM »
No.  Not at all.

I'm just saying when I use a Uv Light on the clear glass that's what I find and the avenue it makes me explore for country of maker.  I've absolutely no idea what is in the clear glass to make it have that colour.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 11:07:18 AM »
sure  -  can say that over the years whenever I've found a piece of what I think is Continental glass, the tint that the glass gives off is often of a very slight dull amber/yellow  -  not sufficient to suggest selenium though.      When selenium is present, it gives a far stronger orange/yellow reaction.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 11:27:05 AM »
To be honest Paul it's such a faint reaction that it's hardly there, but if you've compared enough you see it somehow.
It just an easy guide for me to start looking.  I've absolutely no thoughts on how it occurs and could never use it as an identification though.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2021, 12:33:19 PM »
I suppose there's always the possibility that clear glass - when deprived of manganese - will give this background dull brownish/faint yellow tinge  -  just a thought.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand