No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Drinking glass ?  (Read 772 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Drinking glass ?
« on: October 05, 2021, 03:14:59 PM »
Not sure what you'd use this for, two-part mould, fair amount of wear to a flat base, first part of the 20th century or earlier ?  ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Drinking glass ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 05:36:01 PM »
Hi Keith  -  I'd suggest either a jelly or custard glass  -  the flat base has me rather stumped though and unusual, but don't think it's very modern  .......... which first part of the C20 were you thinking of? ;D ;D
But seriously just one of those pieces to which it's difficult to put a date, though if pushed IMHO don't think C19  -  certainly jellies and custards have been copied and reproduced for some time - nice though.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 06:23:43 PM »
Did wonder if it was a custard glass but as you said, bit of an odd base, lets what others have to say  ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 06:34:05 PM »
It looks impossible to drink out of without getting your front wet. It reminds me of ice cream sundae glasses, the very thick sort you used to find in family run "greasy spoon" establishments. Pre-wimpy.  ;D
The bottom being square would be unusual for those, so I wondered if they might be early ice ceam sundaes.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 08:32:14 PM »
that might depend on the height, which I meant to ask earlier Keith  -  and the answer is ?? ;D

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 11:06:56 PM »
Forgot to say, 4 inches, yes Sue it would be awkward to drink out of but a little small for ice cream or anything like that, will have to do a bit more looking  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 07:10:28 AM »
thanks Keith  -  that sounds like typical height for a jelly or custard.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 01:29:51 PM »
Miserable portions they dished out way back when   ::) ;D ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 02:08:36 PM »
I think the lack of refrigeration may have something to do with this subject, and these things come from a time when portions were smaller as the contents were a sweetmeat delicacy rather than something you bought by the gallon in Tesco - sat on the sofa with a large tub of ice cream and desert spoon and hammered your way through whilst watching the box in the corner.     I think this size is fairly typical of sweetmeats, jellies and custards.       I always think they're good to collect, don't take up half the shelf and mostly not too expensive  -  also a lot of folk don't know their purpose so prices can be reasonable.   

I remember being five, and we lacked a fridge in the house, so the only way you had ice cream - for a birthday etc. - was to run half a mile to the shops - run back again, and hope it hadn't melted on the way. :o         Milk and butter, in warm weather, was stood in water overnight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand