No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: W/Fs. controlled bubble small bowl.  (Read 959 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
W/Fs. controlled bubble small bowl.
« on: October 09, 2021, 10:02:03 AM »
these 'molar/lobed' designs, with controlled bubbles, seem to first appear in the 1949 catalogue  -  not that I can see this dish/bowl at that time, and later in the 1953/54 catalogue more designs appear, including bowls and dishes more like this one.            Some designs also appear in the 1972 catalogue which I suspect is more likely the date of this one since the later pieces look to have smaller bubbles  -  anyway I can't see this particular design, so if anyone knows the pattern No. please do shout, and thanks for looking.          Diameter is a smidgen over 5.75 inches.    The colour could be sea green or willow  -  I only have the big book which isn't as helpful as the MoL Jackson book for colours. 

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: W/Fs. controlled bubble small bowl.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 06:26:37 PM »
Nice find Paul, the pattern number for this bowl should be 9294. I think the colour is sea green.
Are you picking up a lot of glass these days?
Tim

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 08:42:30 AM »
many thanks for the information Tim, much appreciated - my first thought was sea green but wasn't sure.                   I quite like this lobed design and it looks to have been popular for a while - though it makes the pieces fairly heavy.

I don't pick up a lot now and most of it goes back out once I've found some info - I'm trying a new tactic of keeping possessions to a minimum - I've done the bit of having zillions of bits of glass wrapped in bubble and all put away in boxes in garden sheds (where they can't be seen) ;D  -  plus I've diversified a tad since those days.               However, can't seem to kick the habit of poking around in charity shops and markets  -  it's the buzz of hopefully finding something old and interesting - and I'm fortunate in living in an area where pickings still occasionally turn up something good.
thanks again. :) 

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 06:39:31 PM »
Imagine if the members could post short video clips of all the boxes full of glass they have dotted about.
I'm not sure if would would be funny or tragic.
I'm at that stage now.
Tim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand