No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Re Possible Nazeing Glass Vase  (Read 834 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re Possible Nazeing Glass Vase
« on: October 03, 2021, 02:41:08 PM »
Re possible Nazeing glass vase. I am pretty certain it is Nazeing but struggling to find the shape.

Height 9.5" and weighs 657gm.
Rough snapped pontil.

Thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Re Possible Nazeing Glass Vase
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 08:03:45 AM »
I can't find this precise shape in the Geoffrey C. Timberlake book Roy, but in general it's outline follows Nazeing patterns, and the colour and swirl with that almost 'platelet' formation looks o.k. to me.      This low, bulbous, base shape does occur, though not so commonly as others perhaps  -  nice piece and less than common I'd suggest.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 07:38:17 PM »
Thanks Paul.

I did have a good look around and could not find another example. It was a £2.00 car boot find and was told by the seller that it was bought for an anniversary present in the 1950's.

Roy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 06:15:08 AM »
The colour is similar to the round vase in this link at Fieldings but they only seem to id the middle vase.
The way the colour is laid on is similar to the vase on the left in the link but again, only the middle vase is id'd.

https://fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/lot/189958

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 02:08:52 PM »
I suppose it's only natural that not all shapes and sizes are to be found easily - and Nazeing did make a considerable range of shapes and size many of which I've never seen.     The centre, flared rim bucket vase with a Nazeing id by Fieldings, has what appears to be a matching counterpart, in green, in the Timberlake book, so appears no problem with that one plus the 'doughnut' shaped colour spots is typical of some Nazeing pieces.           

Shape wise, there are a couple of matching pieces in the book for Fieldings tumbler vase, so that too has likely provenance on its side.

The final, barrel shaped vase with heavy clear round foot, would be the least easily identifiable piece as being Nazeing  -  though there is a cloudy burgundy vase in the book though I can't see if it has a foot similar to Fieldings barrel vase.
I dare say Nazeing's output of shapes and sizes is greater than we imagine, and within the groups of greens, blues, lilacs and purples, yellows and browns and shades of pink, there is much colour variation to boot. 
For me, the feature that appears often and looks to be typical of Nazeing, is the doughnut shaped colour spots, often with pale centres  -  and this is seen on Roy's vase, so I don't have a problem with Roy's being from Nazeing.

It might be lack of age, lack of rarity, or simply ignorance, but Nazeing seems never to have acquired collector desirability as some other cloudy/bubbly wares  -  perhaps if we all come back in fifty years the situation might have changed ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 04:23:48 PM »
I agree regarding the bubbles. They are not like those seen from other makers that I can recall (but that's just my take on other maker's bubbly type glass).  They seem to be peculiar to Nazeing.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 05:24:43 PM »
Thank you both for your replies.
I wonder if the Nazeing museum adds examples to their collection ?

Thanks Roy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand